P r o l o g u e

"No, no, that won't do." Snobby laughter pierced the air. "Of course you cannot be the Princess."
"But why not? Why are you so much better than me?" The brunette narrowed her eyes as she faced the blonde girl.
"Because," the blonde replied, bending down slightly to look into the brunette's dark eyes, "I am beautiful." She placed a finger on the little girl's chin and stroked it patronisingly. "And you, dear Marinette, are not."
Turning her back on the blonde, the brunette stalked off. "I won't honour you with my presence, then." She whispered in an attempt to hide the tears in her eyes. Her eyes were so blurred with tears that she tripped and would have fallen flat on the floor, but a strong arm steadied her. "Mari, are you okay?" He asked kindly.
She nodded, shuffling her feet as she looked at the floor.
"Mari... you know I can tell when you're upset. What did Annalise say this time?"
A quiet mumble.
"Mari." He said, his voice taking on a warning tone.
"She said I can't be the princess because I'm not pretty enough. Okay? Happy now?" She snapped.
His features softened and he hugged her gently. "Oh, Mari. I wish you could see how beautiful you are. You're my princess. Don't ever forget that."