u n e

Marinette rubbed her azure eyes as she glanced up from her work. She swore she had heard a knock on her door, but no one was there. Quickly, she checked the time and decided to leave her homework for the night. Throwing open her skylight, she pulled herself into the balcony, basking in the warm light of the setting summer sun. She let out a contented sigh as she caught the sweet scent of the roses, but a voice jolted her from her relaxed state.
"Hi, Princess." The voice said and she rolled her eyes.
"Hello, Chat. And what are you doing here?" She asked as she turned to face the hero.
"What sort of a way is that to greet your beloved knight?" Chat faux-pouted.
"Désolée." She replied automatically, not meaning it in the slightest. "But really, what are you doing here?"
"Well, no villains are roaming. I thought I'd visit my little princess." He winked.
"Wouldn't you rather be with your family?"
He sighed. "Well, yes, but they don't care for me. My mother disappeared when I was very young and she was the only one who cared for me. Father is always busy with his fa- his work, so he employed servants to look after me. But they don't care about me. Father even forgot my birthday one year."
Her face softened. "Oh, Chat, that's awful!" Marinette sighed softly. At that moment, Adrien was not occupying her thoughts in any way- and it was somehow... wonderful.
"It is how it is." He replied nonchalantly, but she could still detect lines of sadness in his features. She carefully walked towards him and wrapped her slender arms around his muscular frame. His eyes widened and he blushed a little, awkward in her embrace, but slowly returned the gesture.
"Are you okay, Chat?" She whispered in his ear. "I'm here for you. Promise."
She smiled and tightened their embrace. "Thank you. It- it means a lot, even if I can't tell you who I am."
She closed her eyes and leant her head against his chest and they stayed there contentedly, in their own little world, for a few peaceful minutes.
"Marinette!" A voice drifted up to their balcony. Marinette's housemate.
"Sorry, Chat. I have to go." She murmured, pulling away from him. "Coming, Stella!" She called down.
"Good night, Princess." He smiled at her.
"Good night, Chat." She replied, leaning forward to gently kiss his cheek before turning and lowering herself into her bedroom again to greet her mother.
Chat placed his gloved claw tenderly on his cheek, right where her lips had made contact with his skin and blushed. Hearing a quiet beep in his ear, he turned from the balcony and disappeared over the roof tops.

***

"Marinette!" A quiet, sweet voice cut through Marinette's deep layers of unconsciousness. "Wake up, it's nearly time for your lecture!"
Marinette sat up and rubbed her eyes. "What time is it?" She asked groggily.
"Quarter to eight." Her friend replied. Marinette swore quietly, jumping out of bed and quickly slipping into her clothes. Pink shirt, black blazer- where were her trousers? She looked briefly but given how little time she had, decided to slip into a black skirt instead. To complete the look, she ran a brush through her hair, letting it settle in waves down her back and swiped a thin line of kohl liner over her lash line. She applied a little nude lipgloss and pulled on her ankle boots.
"Bye, Stella!" She yelled as she raced to school, tugging her satchel onto one shoulder.
"Have a nice day, Mari." Her friend replied, waving.

Marinette rushed into class and slipped into her seat, mere moments before the late bell rang. Alya smiled and waved as she entered and Adrien and Nino turned around to chat before the teacher came in.
"Why're you so late again?" Alya reprimanded the petite girl.
"Sorry, mom." Marinette teased in response. "I overslept again."
Adrien looked at her curiously. "Late night?"
She nodded. "I was talking to... someone."
Their teacher entered as she spoke so Adrien and Nino turned around but he was vaguely puzzled... or jealous, perhaps.
As their teacher turned from the class, the boys returned to their former position, chatting to the girls.
"Who were you talking to, Mari?" Adrien asked.
"Does it matter?" She teased him slightly.
"Not really." He scowled. "I was just curious..." He turned away, vaguely annoyed and disappointed.
"What was that?" Alya hissed.
"What?" Marinette pouted.
"Since when have you been so secretive- and you just talked to Adrien without stuttering! And all you did was brush him off. I thought you liked him!"
"So did I." Marinette bit her lip. "But I'm not sure anymore."
Alya looked at her friend, eyes wide. "Are you feeling alright? Who in the heavens were you talking to last night?"
"It doesn't matter." Marinette said evasively. "What do you want for your birthday?"
"Don't change the subject with me, girl!" Alya snapped.
Marinette sighed. "Don't freak out?"
Alya eyed her.
"It was Chat Noir." Marinette whispered.
Alya freaked out.

{bonjour, tout le monde! I hope you like this story so far. I'm about to start writing chapter four, so I've a few chapters ready for you. This will be mostly marichat (hence my username, eh?) but there seems to be a lot of Adrienette coming as well. I doubt there'll be LadyNoir or Ladrien because, as the description says, Marinette is not ladybug. This fanfiction is not focused on ladybug in the slightest, I don't even know if there will be akuma issues. Probably. Anyway, hope you like it so far, please comment, vote, reccomend, follow, and READ AKIKO OKAY?!?!
Love you all, Ella xx}