Chapter 5

- Katy -

"Mom, have you been drinking again?!" I shouted, my voice raspy and filled with nervousness.

I started to get worried.  Back when I was ten, my mom was addicted to alcohol.  That's the main reason why my dad left when I was almost eleven.  After my dad left, my mom started abusing me.  I remember all these memories like it happened yesterday.  When I was fourteen, I was fed up with being beaten every day by my own mother, so I told my current boyfriend about her.  Instead of him comforting me, telling me that everything would be okay, and going to help me get help, he called me a "freak show that has a freak show family," laughed at me, and left me for the school's slut.  He even hit me before he said "we're through."  I was heartbroken for weeks, and my mom's continuous daily beatings didn't help.  But, I was happy that that boyfriend never told anyone that my mom abused me.  Finally, when I was fifteen, I decided to go to my school's guidance counselor to get help.  She called a rehab center and my mom got treated.  My mom hasn't touched any alcohol or hurt me since.  Justin looked at my mom, then me, confused.

"What's going on?" he mouthed to me.  I (very) quickly told Justin everything I just told you.  He looked at me, very surprised, and he brought me into his arms to try to protect me.

"Is that Justin B-Beaver? What the h-hell is h-he doing h-h-here?! I told you no d-dating! Especially no dating f-fags and b-b-bitches like him!" my mom stuttered and pulled me by my hair away from Justin.

Justin tried to help me and get me back, but I stopped him.  "Justin, please just don't tell anyone! And please don't come inside, you'll get hurt and it won't be pretty! I'll be fine!" I shouted, tears streaming down my face while my mom dragged me into the house.

I braced myself and prepared for what I knew was going to happen next.  All those memories from when I was younger came back into my mind.  Bracing myself, the beating, and afterwards.  This happened everyday for practically five years.  It became my daily life.  Those images of back then just started flashing in my mind.  You could say my younger life flashed before me.  My whole body is trembling.  Why has she started to drink again?!  She was doing perfectly fine.  This is strange, too strange.  And then there she came, one of her belts in hand.  I tensed up.  I felt terrified.

She came over to me and held the belt up.  "No dating fags, you l-little bitch!" she shouting while hitting my back with the belt.  She hit me with the belt about 10 more times while shouting swear words then she punched my face.  I was slowly collapsing to the ground.

I screamed in terror with so many tears coming out of my eyes.  All I can think about is Justin.  I'm hoping he'll come through the door any second.  I'm starting to regret that I told him not to come inside.  "Justin!" I screamed while she was hitting me.  "Justin please help!"

My mom pushed me to the floor completely, punching my stomach in the process.  "No t-talking about that b-bitch! If he c-comes inside, I will kill you!" she screamed and kicked my side, hard.  Those words made me get major chills.  She has never threatened to kill me before.  What is even going on?!  Is this just a big nightmare??  It has to be!

I heard the doorknob turn on the door.  "Justin don't!" I screamed through my tears, but it was too late.  The door flew open and there was Justin in the doorway.  "Katy!" he screamed in horror, utter shock written across his face.

"I told you I'd kill you if he came inside!!" my mom shouted and grabbed a kitchen knife.  She held it up to my throat.

"Justin!" I shrieked.  "I love you," I mouthed to him.  Pretty romantic words considering I just met him, but our relationship could have become something amazing, so I'm saying it for the time I'm not going to get.  I closed my eyes tightly and braced myself, because any second now my life will be over.