Chapter One

A/N: This story idea has been swimming around in my head for awhile now. And I couldn't sleep last night so I went ahead, and wrote up the first chapter. Happy Reading :).

Chapter One: Genesis Craig

When Detective Olivia Benson walked into judge Marsden's court room she had no idea how different her life was going to be from that day on. She was earlier than she was expected to be there to give testimony on her case so she decided to sit in on the on going session.

She walked in, and sat in the back of the courtroom nearest the door. She observed quietly, what seemed to be another juvenile delinquent. But as she listened she learned differently.

"Genesis" judge Marsden began "I must say I'm very disappointed to see you today. What do you have to say for yourself?"

Olivia turned her attention to the thin, light skinned girl, curious as to what someone her age had done to have gotten into so much trouble as to be brought before a judge. 'She can't be older than 13' she thought to herself.

"I'm not happy to see you either lady. Just send me back to the group home or whatever." Genesis smarted off.

"Where are your foster parents? Don't they know where you are?" judge Marsden inquired.

"Do you see them here? No. You know why? Because they don't care. They're getting money, and that's all they care about" the girl said folding her arms across her front.

The judge closed the case file on her desk, and brought her hands together. She stared at the girl for a moment before speaking again.

"We can't have that can we? If I get you a more suitable foster home with the possibility of permanent placement will you clean up your act?" judge Marsden asked locking eyes with the girl.

"Permanent?" the girl scoffed "No one wants me" she said quieter than her last statement.

The judge waved her hand in dismissal of the girl's statement.

"Even so, you will be serving 50 hours of community service at the store you shoplifted from."

Just then the doors burst in, and Olivia guessed them to be the girls deadbeat foster parents.

"Forgive us your honor" the woman spoke "Genesis ran away, and we had no idea where she had been. Please don't take her from us we love her."

'Bullshit' Olivia thought as she watched this sickening display of a "loving couple".

"If you care for the child why didn't you notify Special Victims when you realized she was missing?"

"Well...we...she...uh..." they began fumbling for words.

"Enough!" Marsden said slamming her gavel.

What could they say? They were caught, and ACS would be notified.

"Genesis, do you want to go with them?" judge Marsden asked.

"Please don't send me back to them" the girl immediately responded.

"It's either them, or another night in the detention center unless you can find someone more suitable than them" Marsden said firmly.

The girl looked at her foster parents, tension radiating off of her body. Anyone could tell she didn't want to go with them.

Genesis would do anything to escape her hell she'd been living in for the past 3 years with the Lambert's. She saw Olivia out of the corner of her eye as she eyed her foster parents with distaste. She thought Olivia seemed nice, trustworthy.. and maybe the only person to come into her life that wouldn't hurt her. Before she could really give it any thought she pointed at Olivia.

"What about her?"

Those words rang out in Olivia's mind as her mouth hung open. She was in total shock. She didn't even know what to think.

Marsden was also in equal surprise. Genesis had attachment issues and trusted no one. For her to hand pick Olivia seemed a miracle to the judge.

"Ahh yes detective Benson... Very nice choice Genesis. Let's ask her if she'll have you. Detective will you please come forward?"

Olivia still in shock said nothing as she left her seat, and made her way to the bench.

"Detective Benson, will you take responsibility for this child until another family or permanent residence becomes available?" Marsden asked Olivia.

Olivia swallowed, opened her mouth as if to speak then closed it again. She looked at Genesis, and saw fear, nervousness, and a hint of hurt in the girls face. She wondered what this child has been through. She wondered what the girl saw in her that made her pick her. To Genesis it seemed like hours had passed before the woman spoke but it had really only been a couple of moments.

"Yes your honor."

At that statement Genesis breathed a sigh of relief. But she also told herself 'don't get too comfortable, and don't get attached. She probably just said yes because she didn't want to hurt your feelings seeing as you put her on the spot. No one wants you. So just keep your distance'.

"Very well then. Temporary custody for Genesis Craig is awarded to Olivia Benson. Case dismissed!" Marsden said slamming down the gavel, standing and clearing her post.

"Detective? A moment in my chambers please" Marsden said gruffly.

Olivia took another look at the girl before following the judge into her office.

Marsden made herself comfortable in the chair behind her desk, and gestures for Olivia to sit before going forward.

"That has never happened. Genesis has been in and out of my courtroom since she was 3 years old, and she has never taken a liking to anyone. She must see something in you." Marsden beamed at Olivia.

"Since she was 3? My God what happened to her?" the words left Olivia's mouth faster than she meant them to.

"When she was 3 years old her mother went crazy, and tried to drown her, and her twin sisters. She's a triplet. The neighbors heard the girls screams, and called the police. They arrived in time for Genesis but it was too late for the other 2" Marsden explained.

Olivia sat there quietly. Absorbing all the information she could so she could have a better idea how to care for the girl.

"She has been through all forms of abuse, sexual, and physical. She has denied the sexual abuse. Olivia, she has attachment issues and will try to keep you at arms length. She's never known what real love is. I hope you can show her. And maybe you can open her up. Shes got so much locked inside. If you read her file it would break your heart what she has been through" Marsden said quietly pushing the thick file towards Olivia.

Once she gave it a good once over and had a better idea of what she was taking on she pushed the file back towards the judge.

"I will try my best your honor." Olivia said standing to leave.

When she reached the lobby outside of judge Marsden's courtroom she saw Genesis sitting on a bench looking off into space. She decided she had better get introductions out of the way before she had to testify in court. She walked up to the girl, and gently placed her hand on her shoulder. Genesis flinched at first, and Olivia removed contact but still remained close. She knelt down in front of the girl to catch her eye. But the girl looked away from her.

"Hello Genesis I'm Olivia." Olivia said softly.

Genesis looked at Olivia a moment before swallowing and speaking for the first time.

"Hello" Genesis said bringing her dark brown eyes to meet Olivia's.

What Olivia saw in her eyes shattered her heart and caused her chest to ache. And then and there she told herself she would love and protect this girl if given the chance. She felt an overwhelming immediate sense of love for this stranger child course through her body. She would save her. She wouldn't fail her like all the others that had been entrusted to take care of her.

Genesis, and Olivia have a long journey ahead of them... Comments?