Chapter Eight

Chapter 8: Runaway

On the way to the way to the theater Gen had been thinking of how she could make Olivia's life better, and she came to a decision.

Olivia and Gen arrived at the movie theater finding it rather busy. They didn't mind though. Gen decided she wanted to see Hansel & Gretel: Witch hunters so that's what her mother bought tickets for. After they bought popcorn, and soda they settled into the middle row. The lights dimmed, and the movie started.

Olivia had no idea that this day would scare the living hell out of her.

'I have to run. It's not fair to mom. I just have to go.' Gen thought glancing at her mother sideways. She had decided to run away. She couldn't keep putting her mother through everything she had. As much as she loved her she was destroying her. She knew she had to deal with everything alone.

"I'm going to the bathroom." Gen whispered.

"Do you need me to come with you? Are you feeling sick again?" Olivia asked moving to get up.

Gen placed her hand on her arm.

"No. I'm ok." She said getting up, and excusing herself.

Once Gen was outside of the theater she wiped away the few stray tears that had fallen. She knew this was the last time she would see her mother and it killed her but she had to do it. She left the theater as discreetly as possible and took off in a run. She ran about a block before she ran into someone.

"Excuse me" She said out of breath.

"No worries beautiful" The man said.

Gen's heart stopped, and she shook with fear. A voice she feared and hated for 3 years. How could this be? She had to be the most unlucky girl in the world to run into him. She looked up at him, and froze. Deer in the headlights. She moved to get away but he grabbed her arm.

"Where the hell do you think you're going? We've got some catching up to do..." He said

"I-Ill scream" She said trying to yank her arm from his grasp.

He squeezed tighter and laughed as she whimpered in pain.

"Don't make a scene and come with me. I heard you got adopted by some bitch cop? The one you picked out in court. Who the fuck would want ya?" He sneered leading her away.

Gen knew that when he was this angry only one of two things followed. A beating, a rape, sometimes both. All she could think was how much she wanted Olivia at that moment-wishing she never left her.

Olivia sat in the movie theater- no longer watching the movie-but counting the minutes until her daughter returned. She was starting to get worried, and decided to go check on her. She pushed open the door to the bathroom, and called out for her.

"Gen?...Gen?...Genesis?!" She called.

When she got no answer and found the bathroom to be empty she started to panic. She pulled herself together and went into cop mode. She walked to the front desk, and showed a picture of Gen to the young girl there.

"Have you seen this girl?" Olivia asked.

The young girl sat there for a moment obnoxiously chewing and popping her gum.

"Yes ma'am. She was standing just there" She said pointing by the door."She was wiping tears from her eyes, and then she bolted out of the door."

Olivia breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thank you. Did you see which way she went?" Olivia asked.

"She took off to the right." The girl said.