~|Chapter 18|~

~Avila~

I absolutely despised this.

This gown was hot and stuffy, and the blinding lights that were covering the entire ceiling of Fosters women's lounge, were making my head hurt. It has been about 15 minutes since Rose left us to go change into her costume and granted that that wasn't a long time, but my foot hurt, so the wait was agonizing. Sophie and I continued waiting for Rose in silence. I was too tired to speak, and after mentioning Joy, Sophie stayed quiet as well.

Just then, someone knocked loudly on the door, getting our attention.

"I'll get it," Sophie announced, although there was no one else besides me in the room at the moment.

Once Sophie opened the door, a chorus of voices flooded in. I turned around slightly to see who was at the door. My eyes landed on Bridgett first, and behind her were a few other girls whom I vaguely recognize.

"Oh my goodness, I am so sorry I'm late!" Bridgett squeaked, shuffling into the room. "The traffic was horrible!"

She continued talking to Sophie, while walking further into the room.

"Marc, Joseph, and Samuel just pulled in when we got out of the car," she explained.

Bridgett then started ranting about the traffic to Sophie, and slowly, they started making their way over to me.

I almost forgot that Marc, Samuel and Joseph were also going to join us this year. Apparently, they hadn't filled in their community service hours yet, and Rose had offered them to come with us. Since Rose was the main person in charge for the event this year, we couldn't exactly say no. Especially, since Sophie's older brother, the one who had originally started this whole Halloween thing, and Marc's older brother were best friends.

The rest of the girls behind her were too busy gawking at the interior of Fosters dressing room to notice us. I stood up to greet her and when she saw me, Bridgett's mouth fell open. I frowned and looked down at myself, wondering what was wrong. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, I looked back up and stared at Bridgett in confusion.

"I know it looks bad Bridgett, but your stare is making me really regret agreeing to wear this," I told her.

Bridgett blinked once and looked up to meet my gaze. She then held her hands out in surrender and chuckled lightly.

"That's not why I was gawking Pres. You look absolutely gorgeous in that!" she gushed. "You too, Sophie," she said, giving Sophie a once over as well. "My, oh my. Rose did a fabulous job picking out your guys' characters," she finished off.

I rolled my eyes at her statement, trying my best to hold in a groan. The three girls who came in with Bridgett, finally turned their attention to the three of us and immediately, their eyes widened in shock. I smiled at them and Sophie gave a small wave.

They looked friendly enough. One girl looked like she was going to pass out, but other than that, I didn't mind them. These were the girls from the leadership club that going here to help out with the event, I realized, and they seemed to be in grade 10.

"Hi," I started. "What're your names?" I asked.

"I'm Lisa," one said.

She had fiery red hair that made her pop out from the rest.

"I'm Mandy," a taller, South Asian looking girl said.