~|Chapter 5- Edited|~

Edited: June 6th, 2020.

~~~

~Avila~

"Chocolate."

"Strawberry."

"Lemon Sherbet."

"Vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles, gummy bears, gummy worms, Oreo chunks, and chocolate chips," I said.

"You could've just said, 'the usual'," Martha, the owner of this sweet little bakery said, chuckling at me.

I smiled sheepishly at her and reached out for my overflowing ice cream cone. I grabbed it out of her hand and gave her grateful smile.

"Thanks Martha!"

"Welcome sweetheart."

Instead of going back to the others who were occupying most of the tables in the bakery, I leaned against the counter and took a deep breath.

"Tired?" Martha asked as she cleaned the counter.

"Exhausted," I said with a sigh.

She gave me a worried look.

"You should really go easier on yourself, sweetheart," she said.

I bit into my ice cream, and shrugged in response to her statement.

"Eh, I'm fine. So what's my schedule for next week?" I asked.

Martha stopped wiping her hands on her apron midway through my sentence and gave me a bewildered look.

"Your schedule is zero hours for next week lady," she scolded.

"Oh come on! Don't do that. This is the one place I enjoy coming to. And besides, if I don't come here, I have to babysit Carlos," I whined, referring to one of the annoying kids in my neighborhood.

She chuckled and shook her head at me.

"Always so stubborn," I heard her mutter as she went into the back, probably to get my schedule.

Meanwhile, I leaned against the counter, eating my ice cream. There weren't many people here today, considering it was about to rain in a little while. Joel always had this theory that eating ice cream just before a rainstorm is the best way to enjoy ice cream to its fullest. Nobody argued with him since every once in a while when it was about to rain, he took all of us out for ice cream. Besides the fact that we always got sick the next day, it was great. Hence the reason why we're all sitting in Martha's Goodies just after picking up Joel.

I heard shuffling behind me and I turned around to see Martha smiling at me. She handed me my schedule and shooed me off towards everybody else. I chuckled and continued eating my ice cream while walking all the way to the other side of the bakery.

Joel had Oliver, Charles, Drake and Jake engaged in a conversation about some sport. Tristan was on his phone, and Antonio and Sam were nowhere to be seen. Sophie was sitting at the far end between Drake and Charles with a fat book in her hand. Tori was sitting on Joel's lap, eating out of an ice cream cup. I pulled a chair and sat in between Jake and Rose, who looked surprisingly calm around each other today.

It's probably the ice cream.

Speaking of ice cream, I turned my full attention back to mine. I finally reached the cone and savoured each nibble of the crunch.

"Whoa!" someone yelled right in my ear.

I nearly choked on my ice cream and turned around to see who interrupted my precious ice cream time. Sam was standing behind me, gawking at my ice cream cone.