~|Chapter 23|~

|Tristan|

"So you're Tristan Ryder?" a feminine voice said to me as I shut my locker with a slam.

I turned to the specimen before me, already bored out of my mind. I gave her a one head nod and she smirked at me in return. Without saying anything, she slowly took a step closer to me and brought out a hand to touch my forearm. I rose a brow at her.

I've got to say, no one has had the courage to touch me yet.

The girl started raking her finger down my arm, clearly not noticing the irritation on my face. However, before I could peel her hands off of me, another hand beat me to it.

"Excuse me. How dare you touch him?"

I didn't have to turn around to see the owner of the voice.

Sam had the girl's wrist in his grip and he carefully wrenched her fingers off of me. He had come to stand just slightly in front of me, completely scaring the bejesus out of the girl. I smirked as I watched Sam put his hands on his hips and stare the girl down. She had taken a few steps back now, and cautiously looked between me and Sam.

"I- I'm so-sorry. I didn't re-realize that you um-were-um..."

And with that, she fled away from us.

Sam turned to me as soon as she was out of eyesight and grinned.

"Aren't I just a great friend? Sacrificing my truly straight-self to make sure turds like that don't bother you?" Sam asked with a grin.

I rolled my eyes.

"How can I ever repay you, Sam?" I asked sarcastically.

I started walking down the hall with Sam trailing behind me.

"Oh, I know just the way..." he said suggestively, nudging my arm.

"I'm not getting Bridget's number for you Sam. You're closer to Avila. Ask her yourself," I said with a sigh.

For the past week or so, Sam had been persistently asking me to get this Bridget's number. I barely knew the girl, and the person who I had to get it from was more annoying to me than a drunk Sam.

"But Tristan," he groaned. "That would make me look so desperate."

"You are though."

By the time we made it out to the car, Sam had toned down his whining to occasional grunts. Drake, Oliver, and Antonio were already in the parking lot, waiting for us to join them.

"Well, well. Who do we have here? The Captain of the Yearly Cup team and his little minion," Antonio announced as we got closer.

All three of them were grinning and I simply shook my head at them, sadly, with a little smile on my face. Ever since the captaincy announcement yesterday, the boys have been teasing me like this every time I see them. Also because of the captaincy position, the population of Sparrow High started thinking that I was more 'approachable.'

The stunt at my locker a few minutes ago was one of the many encounters I had with a human today, and boy, did I wish it was the last.

"Oh by the way," Antonio said, catching our attention. "Lindsay Morgan just messaged me asking if you and Sam are a thing?" He directed his question at me.

I rolled my eyes at him while Sam burst out laughing. Drake, Oliver, and Antonio stared at us questioningly.

"Leave her on read," I said.

Antonio gave a low whistle and did as he was told, while Sam explained the hallway encounter to all of them. The boys laughed till their stomachs hurt, and I simply ignored them.