Chapter 15

"How is she, doctor?"

"She is fine. Probably, fainted because of the shock," I heard someone saying to Damien.

My head was sideways and as I opened my eyes, my gaze landed on Damien, who was sitting beside my bed.

Wait!

In distressed movements, I glanced at my surroundings and found them foreign to me.

"Where am I?"

"A hospital," he said with a light smile on his lips.

I understood and nodded in reply.

"You have been out for about 20 minutes or something," he said and grasped my hand in his warm one.

He appeared tensed and tired. I wondered what was bothering him until I remembered the events of the night.

"What happened to-to the man?"

"You mean the assassin... Well, he died on the spot as you saw."

I gulped as I remembered the scene. Never had I seen anything so... so... so unpleasant. It would be difficult for me to eat anything because remembering all that my appetite would vanish or the sight of blood would make me nauseous.

"I want to go home, Damien," I said to him and started to get up.

"Don't you dare get up until doctor says so," he said and pushed me down on the bed.

"Damien, please and hey! Where did you get that gun from?" I asked suddenly remembering the weapon at his back.

The swift motions of his hand as he had pulled out the gun from his back and fired at the attacker indicated that he wasn't a beginner. An expert he was, because he shot exactly where he wanted to.

Afraid to come to any conclusion, I stared into his eyes, noticing the struggle he was having in forming an answer. His eyes blinked several times and even looked around searching for something, maybe for an answer.

He gripped on my hand tighter and took a deep breath.

"It runs in my family, everyone keeps a weapon with them."

My mouth fell open and I gaped at him. A humorless laugh escaped from my lips.

"Yeah, I totally believe you,"I said and looked away, not able to trust him anymore.

"I am not lying," he said with determination and it made me stare back at him.

"What type of family is that? Are you from Mafia or something?" I asked and Damien put a hand on my mouth, shutting it up.

"Shh, we have police here and if they listen to you, they might start doubting you as a member of Mafia."

"You're afraid because you are one of them. Aren't you?"

At my question he rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"No, I am not but I know some people that are part of Mafia."

"I wish I had known all of this when I met you," I said.

"What? You're not thinking of escaping from me?" He asked and leaned towards me.

Getting closer, he whispered in my ear, "Because you are not going anywhere."

I shivered at his words and couldn't understand if they were because of his voice or the fear I felt.

When he leaned back, I saw amusement in his expression and knew that he was messing with me. I so wanted to kill him right then.

I kept my mouth shut and started thinking of the upcoming events, of which I had no idea. A heaviness fell upon my chest and my throat got constricted. My eyes became full of tears. Damien wiped the tears that fell from my eyes.

"Its okay. It was not your fault that..."

My eyes looked at him with questions.

He gulped and said, "Mark... He didn't have to be a part of this."

At the mention of my husband's name, I sobbed more, and Damien began hugging me from side.

"Its my fault that he is dead..."

"No its not. Stop thinking like this, Lia."

I was sobbing into his chest when the doctor and the officer came in.

"She will be fine, don't worry," Damien told them, caressing my back.

Eventually, I stopped and glanced at them with teary eyes.

"Miss Lia, if you want rest we can come some other time," Police Officer said.

I shook my head and wiped my eyes. Damien let me go and sat on the chair.

"I am fine, you can ask anything," I said.

After that Damien and the doctor went out and Police officer asked me some questions about my past.

I had no relatives, no family, nothing. The woman that assassin had mentioned who wanted me dead and I had no idea who she might be.

He asked me some questions about Mark and his family and to my shame, I knew very limited about his family that it didn't exist.

After half an hour of questioning he went out and Damien came in.

He rushed to my side and took my hand in his.

"You okay? He didn't tire you out, did he?"

I smiled weakly and said, "No, he didn't."

"Good for him... I found something Lia," Damien said and placed the chair beside me.

"Let's go home, then I will tell you," he sounded suspicious.

I nodded and then I got discharged from the hospital, filled in forms and went home.

It was late at night and there were less cars on roads. We were driving back home when a bike raced by our car and stopped in front.

Damien stepped on the break and the car screeched to a halt.

The biker took off his helmet and got off his bike. My heart started thumping against my chest crazily. When I glanced at Damien, he had a serious expression on his face. I wondered if he was thinking of taking out his gun, again.

As I stared at the him with wide eyes, Damien unlocked his door and began to get out but I stopped him by clutching at his arm.

"No, no, no. You are not going to him," I said and shook my head multiple times.

Damien took my hand in his and said, "He's not a threat, trust me."

"How can you say that! He might have a-" Damien hissed and interrupted me.

"He works for me, okay. Calm down."

With his one hand on my cheek and the other grasping my hand, he kissed the back of my hand and went out.

I gulped and tried to calm down but my attempts went futile. I saw as he walked up to the man.

Damien stood before him and he lightly bowed with his head. I saw the exchange between them and began to hyperventilate. My body was covered in sweat and my hands shivered as I saw the interaction between them.

After a while, Damien came back into the car and began starting the engine.

"Who are you, Damien?" I whispered.

At my words, everything stopped. Even Damien, who was starting the car, stopped and turned to me. Shock was evident on his face. Although, he tried to hide it but I caught him. The rapid blink of his eyes and twisting of his mouth, and I knew he was hiding something.

"Who are you?" I asked again but he was speechless.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment and vote lots. Express your views because I love them and they encourage me to write as soon as I can. So please comment lots.