Chapter 21

The man beside me confused me to no end. He gave off vibes that he was dangerous yet he followed me like a lost puppy and then call me a troublemaker. Neither understanding him was possible nor how he made me feel. And at the moment, trying to keep my lips sealed and not react to him was my priority, but the retort that was bubbling up my mouth was not easy to contain. Hence,

"Who let the cat out of the bag, that day?" I said and leveled him with a glare.

"Are you talking to me?" Damien asked and gave me a bored look.

"Oh, I am sorry I disturbed you Mr. Victor, but I was talking to the vase just beside you," I said while smiling and batted my eyelashes at the end. But my retort was worth it when I saw his mouth tilting upwards.

"I think..." He said, staring into space. "I like you sassy rather than quiet and sulking."

"That's you not me! Always bossy... 'Maria bring that file! Casper bring my coffee!'" I said and imitated him which made him raise an eyebrow. Casper who was passing by us, chuckled at my reproduction of Damien's commands.

"Well, that's a surprise." Damien narrowed his eyes at me. He was smirking at me and god forbid me if I didn't want to wipe it off his face. "What surprise?"

"I had no idea you noticed me this much," he said. But when his eyes landed on me he broke into a fit of laughter. "There you go sulking again."

This time I was not sulking in actual. Inwardly, I was surprised at myself and at the things I had been noticing about him. Was it too much? I could always stop noticing him and as soon as I realized that, I looked away from him.

His distaste at my sudden silence was crashing into me like waves. Somebody please should tell him to stop staring at me, because I could feel it heating up my cheeks. God, this chemistry... Stupid, it was physics, heat and waves.

"Sir, they are here." A servant said. Damien nodded at him and went in the direction of main door. I followed him like a pet and peeked at the guest from over his shoulder.

Two men met my sight, smiling and shaking hands with Damien then me. Their large hands enveloped mine with their own but I didn't miss the weird glint in their brown eyes.

"I am detective Gary Winter and this is my assistant Barry Field." Oh, so that was the glint saying.

"Gary, Barry... Nice rhyme you got there," Damien said with a chuckle and they chuckled, too.

We escorted them inside and sat with them in the living room. All the while I was sweating with tension and nobody noticed. I sat beside Damien and both of the guests sat on the couch opposite us.

"As you are well aware about the reason of our arrival, let's not waste anymore time and start with the questions." Damien nodded at Barry and glanced at Gary who was busy staring around.

"So, your name is Damien Victor? Am I right?" Barry asked Damien.

Hesitating for a moment, Damien nodded slowly at Barry to which he smirked. Perplexed, I wondered what was it about the name and waved it off when I saw Gary looking around with curiosity, not paying attention to interrogation.

"Its because of you that this interrogation is taking place here, otherwise it would be LAPD where you would have come." Barry said to which I heard Damien clearing his throat.

"Don't play with me, Barry." Damien warned and I frowned at the warning. However, Gary only looked apologetic at Damien's reprimand.

Looking between them, I asked, "What did he do?"

Damien turned to me with a smile on his face, the grimness gone from his face. "Nothing that shouldn't be done." Nodding at Damien, I pursed my lips and began to think turning my face to glance at Gary, only to find him observing me in silence.