Chapter 26

I stared at the woman, who had her arms around Damien. A mixture of fury and sadness begin to claw at my heart. My chest was filled with a dread.

As I stared silently at her face, her eyes fell on me and a slight frown marred her forehead

"I have no idea how long it has been. I am glad you're finally here." Irene said to Damien after pulling out of the hug.

Servants around had already gone back to their respective duties and I was the only viewer to watch their affection. My jaw clenched and I crossed my arms across chest, waiting for their exchange to end.

Damien turned around, extending his hand towards me. "Lia, this is Irene, an old friend."

How much old? He had never talked about her and now this sudden appearance. Couldn't she go back to where she came from?

Ending my inner debate, I forced a smile on my face and muttered, "Hi Irene."

"Irene, this is Lia," Damien said, throwing a smile towards me, which dampened the fury burning within me a bit.

"Lia, who?" Irene asked, furrowing her brows. Looking away, I rolled my eyes.

One punch at her face and she would know 'Lia, who.'

"Uh... Lia is a close friend." He said and I was thankful to him that he at least regarded me as a friend. Not that I was expecting anything more.

Irene nodded at me, smiling. Damien then escorted her to the living room and sat with her. All the while they were chatting wildly, asking about each other's lives, whereabouts and other things. I had no part in it and soon I left for my room.

The next day, I was expecting to go sightseeing with Damien but when I reached the dining room, I found out that I wasn't the only one planning to go sightseeing. There, at the dining table, sat Damien and Irene chatting about their plans for the day. Had she spent the night here? I hope not in Damien's bedroom.

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed the chair at the other end of the dining table and dragged it out, loud enough to interrupt them. Their heads turned to me and registered my presence at last.

"Irene, Damien," I said and sat in my chair.

"Good morning, Lia," Damien said, and Irene nodded back in reply at me.
"Morning, Damien. I suppose your morning is already good..." I said with a smirk and glanced at Irene.

Damien chuckled. "It is."

At his words, my chest constricted and I started having trouble with breathing steadily. My hands fisted on the napkin and I breathed out in spurts, trying to calm myself down. What is happening to me? Why am I feeling like this?  He could go for whoever he liked. It shouldn't have bothered me but it did.

Alarms bells inside my brain went off and I pushed back my chair, creating another loud interruption and stood up. Staring at my hands, which were shaking, I muttered, "I forgot something."