Chapter 18

I spent the next day arguing with myself on my next course of action. What do I do with this information? To begin with, I shouldn't know anything about it. His family's history explains a lot, causing the puzzle pieces to fit together. As a young adult, he didn't want to be associated with a murder case. That explains the name change. And since it wasn't that long ago, he doesn't look all that different than he did when the event took place. Hence, not wanting his picture in the paper or any recognition whatsoever. He did move across country to get away from people and city who may recognize him. He's been dealt an unfair hand, that's for sure. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to lose a parent at the hands of the other, and how he was treated afterwards to make him leave. It's not like it was his fault his father was abusive.

With the big picture getting clearer, I still have no idea why he would push me away the way he did. We all have a past. Things we can't control and even some unruly family. That shouldn't cause us to be loners for the rest of our lives.

And where does Carlos fit into this? I can't help but think I'm still missing vital information. I wonder if Carlos would open up to me now. If I tell him what I've learned, maybe he'll fill me in on a few more details. It's not like he has to lie to me any more since I know the truth. He did seem to believe Four and I would become close friends. I'll just tell him the truth, well, a slightly altered version of the truth. Four opened up in his drunken state and now I need to know how to handle the situation since I fear he may regret it once sober.

That's perfect! Now armed with an excuse for having this knowledge, I decide to visit Carlos for the second day in a row.

I never would have predicted what happened next. Upon arriving at the hospital parking lot, two police cruisers were sitting in the fire lane by the door. I wonder what's going on. It wouldn't be long before I found out. Almost as soon as I got out of Christina's car and made my way for the entrance, two police emerged from the door with a third person in between. With one officer on each arm, the third person was kicking and screaming.

My progress was halted when one of the uniformed men spoke to me. "Stand back mam."

I felt my heart was being crushed as the threesome passed me and the man in the center yelled toward the doctor who was still holding the door open. "You killed him." His voice was a roar unlike anything I'd ever heard before. "How could you do that? He trusted you."

I watched helplessly as the police pushed Four into the back seat of the cruiser and drove off, followed by the second patrol car.

At some point my mouth had fallen open and it stayed that well after they were gone. I could only assume Four was being brought to the police station. I could go after them later. Right now I had to know what got him so upset. I ran up the stone stairs, two at a time, confronting the doctor before he retreated back inside.

"Was he talking about Carlos Mendez?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't discuss my patience situation with you unless you are family." His voice was emotionless, but his reply was answer enough. I pushed past him, running into the waiting room where my fears were confirmed. Carlos's wife sat in the corner. Her children piled into her lap, as the three sobbed into each other's embrace.

"No." He was so much better yesterday. What could have happened? His family didn't see me. I didn't want to interrupt their huddle or make his wife say the words out loud to me. Carlos was dead.

I don't remember the drive there, but somehow I ended up downtown at a coffee shop across the street from the police station. I was staring blankly out the window when the waitress came over.