Chapter 20

It was only about a five minute walk through the woods, after our stop at the brook, when we arrived at the clearing. The path in front of us opened into a large field that was mostly empty, except for an ancient looking playground set up in the right corner. I walked over and took a seat on the only swing still attached to the metal frame.

"I used to come here all the time when I was little." I admitted to him. "It was the best playground in town back then."

Four walked over to the metal slide. "They don't make em like this anymore." He slid his fingers over the smooth surface. "Too bad really. Metal slides were the best."

I nodded in agreement, pulling myself off the swing and joining him beside the slide. "That's because they are too dangerous."

"That's what made them fun. The plastic slides they have now, not only are they really slow, but they give you a massive electric shock." He smiled at me. "Nothing beat going down a steep metal slide and flying off the end at top speed."

I bit my lip and started climbing the rusted ladder. "I'm gonna do it."

"What? No. Come back down here. That ladder looks like it's going to disintegrate."

"Come on Four. Don't be a chicken." I laughed as I pulled myself up to the top platform. I sat and pushed my body down the chute, screaming with glee, all the way down. He smiled and followed my lead, crashing into me at the bottom of the slide. I jumped up, running over to the teeter totter, jumping on the end that sat on the ground. "Come on." I coaxed.

He walked over much slower this time, but without an argument, took his place at the other end. Like a pair of school children, we pushed off the ground in turns. Up and down, up and down. We both started laughing, remembering how simple life had been back then.

Without warning, I lifted my legs before my end went down. The wooden plank hit the ground hard, nearly throwing Four off his end. I laughed even harder, until he did the same to me. "Alright. Enough of this." He stood and walked over to the merry go round. "Sit and I'll push."

I never liked this ride. I got dizzy way too fast and found it hard to hold on, but Four looked so happy to be fooling around like a kid, I couldn't stop the fun. I sat on the splintered wooden seat, grabbing on to the metal bars.

Four wasted to time getting the ride started, pushing it hard and fast before jumping on himself.

We sat across from each other, balancing the weight to keep us moving much too long for my comfort. When we finally came to a stop, the entire world continued to spin around me. Four was walking toward me, looking very drunk based on the way he was walking. I pointed and laughed as he approached. That is until I took one step in his direction and lost my balance completely. He lunged for me, trying to catch me before I hit the ground. His attempt had us slam into each other hard, before hitting the ground. Our laughing continued even more severe now as I laid on top of him on the ground.

It felt so good to forget out troubles and just enjoy each others' company for a few moments. When we both finally stopped laughing, I realized I was on top of him and he was staring into my eyes. I bit my lip, suddenly aware how intimate of a position we were in. Part of me wanted to jump up and apologize, while the other part told me to wait to see what he would do.

His eyes seamed to sparkle when his attention jumped to my lips momentarily. For a split second, I though he was going to kiss me, but instead he sat up, bringing me with him. I was sitting on his lap, when he brought his hand forward, brushing it lightly against my cheek.

"Thank you Tris."

I could do nothing but smile affectionately. "For what." I stood and offered him my hand. He grabbed it, pulling himself up beside me, wrapping his arms around my body once he was completely standing.