Chapter 25

I wasn't expecting to see Four as soon as the elevator door opened. Nor was I expecting him to pull me into his arms, holding me like we hadn't seen each other for years. Not that I minded. It is so warm wrapped in his arms and his masculine scent is so calming. I stayed motionless as long as I could, while he just embraced me.

When he finally pulled away, his blue eyes stared into mine, taking in every detail of my face, before his lips came to meet mine, slowly yet firm. My breath was stolen from me by that kiss, so full of emotion. I've kissed Four on other occasions. When he was drunk from alcohol and when he was overcome with grief. This kiss was like neither of those, and yet I recognized it immediately.

He didn't release me until the sound of the elevator door closing behind us ripped him from me. His long arm reached out, preventing the doors from meeting, before they opened wide again. He pulled me beside him, out of the tiny room. I smile remembering his fear of tight spaces, knowing it wasn't easy for him to go in after me. Especially since he didn't need to. I was planning on exiting on my own.

After such a warming greeting, I expected him to speak, but his next move was to pull out his phone and start texting.

"What has gotten into you?" I ask.

His text takes almost no time at all, and now his full attention is on me. "I'm so glad you're okay. Christina and I were trying to reach you."

"Oh," I glance down at my phone and sure enough, I have three missed calls from Christina, a new voicemail and several unread texts. "I have to silence my phone in the library. I guess I was so wrapped up in my research I didn't notice she called." My eyes were drawn to the floor before I spoke again. "Four, I have to tell you something. It's about Carlos."

"I already know." His voice was even and emotionless. That's why I'm here. We need to talk. But not here." He took my hand in his and led me out of the library, nodding briefly at Mrs. Franklin, the librarian, on the way out. She smiled back, confirming some previous interaction between the two of them.

We didn't waste any time leaving the building, and he never let go of my hand. I was led to his truck, parked in the fire lane and I couldn't help but wonder how he didn't get towed and why he would even chance it. I suppose if it was just a quick in and out, the campus police wouldn't pay it any mind. I've seen plenty of students do it to run in for a quick drop off or renewal.

He opened the passenger side door for me, but I pulled my hand away from his. "I have Christina's Car."

"That's ok. We'll leave it here for now. Get in."

"But, I should at least..."

He looked at me with a sour expression. And a sternness to his voice. "Just get in the truck Tris."

I obeyed this time, watching him carefully as he circled around to the other side of the vehicle. Once he climbed in and we pulled away from the curb, I began to speak. "How did you find out about Carlos?"

"Christina told me." His voice was soft and his eyes never left the road. "I have something I need to tell you."

"It was you."

"What?"

I repeated myself but with more detail. "It was you. You're the one who kissed me at the softball game."

"Yeah, but that's not what we need to talk about."

I was dumbstruck. Why go through all that trouble to hide it, just to freely admit it now? "Why?"

"Because there's something more important we need to discuss."

"No, I mean, why did you spend $1,000 to kiss me?"