Chapter 27

We continued driving for another forty minutes before we found a place to stop. He said we'd stop at the first motel, but now that we've seen it, I could tell he was definitely reconsidering. The neon sign was flashing erratically, probably due to faulty wiring, and in the office window was a handwritten sign, proudly advertising that rooms could be rented by the hour or the night.

"Hmm. Maybe we should see what else is around. I said I wanted to leave you someplace I knew you'd be safe. This is the exact opposite."

"It does look kind of shady." I wasn't too keen on the idea of staying here, especially alone. "Can't I just check on my phone to see what else is around?"

Four scowled. "No. The phones stay off. There's no way to know if Eric has access to yours or not, and for all I know, he could be tracking mine too. I told you, he's smart. The fact that I don't know what kind of new technology Erudite has developed since I left has me very nervous."

Four leaned in towards me, opening the glove compartment and pulling out a map. The back of his hand brushed over my bare legs in the process, sending a chill up my spine.

I watched his finger, slowly tracing a path along the giant map.

I sat beside him, patiently waiting. "I didn't know people still kept maps in their cars."

He rolled his eyes. "Not all modern technology is a good thing. I've had to live off the grid before. It's not as bad as you'd think." He tapped the map twice with his index finger. "There's a small town about a dozen miles away. Let's see what we can find there."

Before he had a chance to back out of the parking space, a loud bang came from the back end of the truck. "What the hell was that?" The sound startled me as I whipped my head around to see what had caused it.

Standing directly behind us, were three men staring at us, smirking. Four looked over at me quickly shaking his head. "Stay in the truck," he demanded.

As soon as he got out of the vehicle, the three strangers started whooping and hollering at him. "Hey hot stuff. What's the matter? Are you too sexy for your shirt?"

The three began to laugh until Four was beside them. "Hey, guys. We're on our way out. Do you think you could loiter a little to the left?"

The three began laughing once again. Just as quickly as they started, the one in the center silenced them all with a wave of his hand. "Why you leaving so soon? You just got here. Don't you want to take the pretty lady inside for five minutes and show her a good time?"

The laughing resumed. "Well, yeah, of course." Four forced a smile. "But I have more class than that."

The three stopped laughing, ending the fake friendship abruptly. Oh shit! They're going to fight. My lack of decent clothing should have convinced me to stay in the truck. But at that moment, I didn't care about anything other than helping Four. He was outnumbered and I knew there must be something I could do, even if it was just a quick distraction to give him a fighting chance. I needed to be useful. I yanked my seatbelt off, ready to take my place by Four's side, when a fourth man appeared out of nowhere, standing by my door, and then another at the driver's side door, both blocking me in. Looks like I'm not getting out. I returned my attention to the commotion behind me.

One of the men jumped at Four, but a quick sidestep on Four's part had him running into the tailgate, before falling to the ground. Another took swing after swing. Four evaded every punch, before throwing one of his own. The second of the original three easily went down. As I was watching, my jaw dropped. The third eyed Four cautiously before producing a knife from his pocket. He nodded for the two at the truck doors to assist. My body tensed up. All three were going to attack Four at once, but at least I could help now.

As I flung the door open, the sound of flesh against flesh filled my ears. Four yelled at me, "Get back in the truck, Tris!" But I couldn't stay back. I had to help. I circled around to join the action. Three of the thugs were now unconscious on the ground while the last two were engaging Four. Neither of them paid me any attention as they were both struggling to maintain some kind of control against their lone foe. It did them no good. A fourth went down after a powerful uppercut, leaving only the man with the knife. He swung it out quickly, slashing in different directions, desperate to find flesh with the blade. But it was not to be. Four was too quick for him, and after only a few more moments, had disarmed the pack leader.

The man fell backwards, more out of fear than anything else. Four hadn't touched him yet. "Hey, I'm sorry, man. We were just messin' around with you."

"Messing around?" Four breathed heavily. "You offended my girlfriend and pulled a knife on me. That's more than messing around. I know people who have killed for less."

Four's face was stone cold and a shiver ran up my spine as I stared at him. Did I hear him right? Did he really just refer to me as his girlfriend? I know so little about him. Being a Dauntless soldier, I had no idea what he was going to do, but at the same time, I didn't doubt he'd do the right thing. I'm amazed by just how much I trust him, even though he is barely recognizable to me right now.

Four was holding the thug by the front of his shirt. His eyes narrowed slightly as he lifted the man off the ground. His legs dangled underneath his squirming body before being tossed aside like a rag doll. Four turned to me frowning. "I told you to stay in the truck."

I tried to speak, but nothing came out at first. "I...I...I thought you might need help."

"Against a couple goons and a pocket knife? Hardly." He was by my side now. His chest glistened with a hint of sweat, causing butterflies to invade my stomach. I couldn't prevent the wide smile that took over my face. "What?" he asked, catching my smile.

"Nothing. That was just... kind of sexy."

Now his face mirrored my own as he placed his hands on my shoulders. "Only 'kind of sexy'? Because, to be honest, I was trying for really sexy." He licked his lips and pulled me into his chest, kissing me hard, before scolding me, "Next time I tell you to do something, you better do it."