Chapter 40

Four's POV

It's been three days since I was brought in. For the most part I'm left alone, but every chance I get, every time someone wanders into the same empty hallway I'd been detained in years ago, I futilely ask if they know anything about Tris. As of yet, I haven't gotten an answer. A tray of cold food is pushed through a slot in the Plexiglas that took the place of the iron bars from when I was here last, but no words are ever spoken to me. The silent treatment is just about to set me off on a screaming fit when an armed guard comes in unscheduled, announcing I have a visitor.

My heart threatens to leap out of my chest. Is it Tris? Is she well enough to come say goodbye?

I am disappointed when my visitor turns out to be Natalie and not Tris, but I am happy to see her nonetheless. I take two large steps and am at the clear wall. "How's Tris?" I barely recognized my own voice since it's laced with concern for Tris.

Natalie gives me an appreciative smile. "She's going to be okay, thanks to you."

I let out the breath I was holding. That's all that matters. If I die now, I can go in peace. Tris is safe.

Natalie punches a code into the keypad, swinging the door open and stepping inside my cell.

"I'll be right outside, sir." The guard salutes Natalie and disappears down the hall after locking us in together.

She looks at me and smiles sympathetically. "I don't know how I can ever repay you."

"Yeah," I grunt. "I'm a real hero. I almost got your daughter killed." I sit down on my cot and stare at my hands. "I never wanted her involved in all of this. I knew I should've stayed away, even before I knew who she was, I just couldn't do it."

"You fell in love. That's not something you can prevent." Natalie smiles, placing a hand on my shoulder as she sits beside me. "She hasn't stopped talking about you since she woke up."

"It doesn't matter how I feel. I knew better. If I'd stayed away, she'd still be living a normal life. She'd be graduating college in a few days and moving to the city to start her dream job."

"I honestly believe she'd give all that up to be with you."

I stand up, frustration coursing through my veins. "She shouldn't have to give up anything for me. It's already bad enough I've ruined her future, but now I get to break her heart, too." I lock my eyes onto Natalie's. "Did you tell her yet? Does she know I'm going to die? I just can't seem to stop hurting her, even when I'm gone."

"Tobias, you're not going to die. I have enough say in this establishment to prevent that." She pauses for a moment. "But, you'll have to have your memory wiped."

I run my hands through my hair. "That's just as bad. I won't remember her." I sit down on the cot again, my voice softer now. "At least she won't have to watch me die."

Natalie takes my hand in hers, squeezing it gently. "Don't worry. I'm going to fix this. I should have done this a long time ago. It's about time I take responsibility for my choices."

I didn't have any idea what to expect as I sat in my cell waiting for whatever was to come next. Eric was in the cell across from mine and I could hear him snoring from his cot. He'd put up such a fight that they had to sedate him just to get him out of the Dauntless compound. At least that's what Zeke told me. His cell was beside mine and he did his best to fill me in on all that had happened while I was unconscious, starting with a tearful "Thank you" for the fact that Uriah was safe.