Chapter 41

I ran for a day and a half before I felt confident that I was not being followed. My thoughts drifted back to Natalie as I sat down in the corner booth of a small café and pulled the envelope out of my pocket. I opened it slowly, careful not to tear it as I removed the contents. It included everything Natalie had promised – all new and official documents, including a license, passport, social security card and an offshore bank statement that appears to have been recently created in my name, with far more money than I'd ever need to start over. I could buy a mansion with this."

I shook my head feeling horrible to have taken these from her, especially since I didn't know where the money came from. In her new position, she'd easily be able to have the documents made up, but that didn't explain the money.

Mixed in with everything else was a handwritten letter. I pulled it out and unfolded the sheet. To my surprise, it wasn't in Natalie's handwriting, but I still recognized it like I would my own.

I started reading, but the further I got, the harder it was to read as my eyes blurred with tears...

"Tobias,

The way of the world is a mystery. Rarely do we get the chance to do everything in our lives that we want as a new mystery or unplanned event could be hiding around the next corner. I've known my fate for some time now. Natalie and I have both known this was coming. It started long before you even joined Dauntless. I had to play my part, as did she. Unfortunately, you were caught in the middle only because you were being a good man. We had both hoped you would walk away from this war without any additional scars, but as it turned out, it was not to be. Because of your loyalty to your friends, you were wrongfully grouped with the rest of us – the real traitors and terrorists.

I say 'us' because I, myself, am one of them. I was the second leader to sign the contract with Erudite. Not because I wanted to, or because I believed in the cause, but because we needed time to determine who was worth saving and who was not. I had to do horrible things, even kill innocent people, to convince the other leaders of my loyalty to the new Dauntless. Natalie needed time to make the right connections and accept her new position in the World Wide Terror Resistance, the organization that has now replaced Dauntless. I signed the contract to save those worthy of being saved, always expecting you to be one of them.

My life comes to an end soon, as I have been sentenced to death for my crimes. Please understand I knowingly sealed my fate the moment I signed the contract. But I will not let you go down with me. Together, Natalie and I have been able to recreate your identity and included in this letter is my life savings. Take it with you. Use it to buy a home, go back to school, and maybe even start a family. I know you will make me proud, just as you always have. You are the son I never had, and I will always love you as my son, even after I'm gone.

Don't look back and don't regret your past. Dauntless was a great collection of heroes for a long time and that is what you will always be. It is to your advantage that Dauntless was secret. You won't be shown on television or wanted posters because you were not supposed to exist in this role.

You are free to continue the life you deserve. Just keep a low profile, obey the laws and you should never have a problem or be discovered. Be brave. Amar"

Below his name, written in Natalie's handwriting, was a time of death, almost exactly 36 hours ago.

I swallowed hard as I wiped the flow of tears on my sleeve because I realized that Amar was being put to death just as Natalie was helping me escape. The badge she used must have been from one of the guards I passed on my way out. Most of the ranking officers would have been away to witness Amar's execution, leaving Natalie free to come to my aid. One other thing must have crossed their minds: they had to wait until it was too late to save Amar to set me free because then, and only then, would I have agreed to this plan.