Chapter 34

AN: Well, I don't usually do this but because I did, here's a heads up. There is some language in this chapter that is much stronger than what I've used in the past. I felt it was necessary in this scene and that anything less would not be believable considering who said it and the context. Read at your own risk.

Thanks again to Eunice339 for the amazing beta work. You never disappoint.

Natalie Wright was pacing in front of Amar's office when I turned the corner. She smiled despite the obvious concern in her expression. "Tobias, Happy Birthday!"

I gave her an appreciative nod, surprised she even knew. "Ah, thank you."

"Do you have big plans tonight? A hot date maybe?"

"Nah, you know me. Today is just another day."

"Oh, come on." She gave me a gentle nudge in the arm. "Someone must have offered to buy you your first legal drink?"

I grinned. It was no secret that Zeke and I liked to relax with a twelve-pack at the end of a big assignment. And as far as assignments go, this week's had been a tough one. "Yeah, I've had a few offers. Just not really in the partying mood, you know?"

Her smile disappeared, "Yeah, I do. In fact, that's why I'm here. Amar and I have been talking a lot about where Dauntless is heading. Max has been on my back about the paperwork."

"You haven't signed it yet?"

"I can't bring myself to. The fine print - I don't know how many of us have actually read it thoroughly - but it's not what I signed up for. My God, I'm one of the original founders and I wasn't even involved in this decision."

My eyes dropped to my feet before I spoke again. "I haven't signed it either. I've seriously considered leaving myself."

Her face lightened with a knowing smile. "How did I know you would say that? We're a lot alike." She pulled a deep breath in while shaking her head slowly. "What I wouldn't give to be your age again. With your skills you could leave and go do anything, and with your looks, well, I'm sure women would be throwing themselves at your feet."

My face turned bright pink as I attempted to steer the conversation away from myself. "You say that like you're pushing eighty. I'm sure you could do the same. Go out, meet a nice guy, start a family."

Natalie giggled, "Tobias, how old do you think I am? I'm not a spring chicken like you. In fact, I had a daughter, she's only a few years younger than you."

The way she said it left me confused. "Had?" As in past tense?

She turned away from me suddenly, avoiding eye contact. "Yeah, I once had a whole family - a husband, a son and a daughter. . They still live right outside of Portland."

"That's great. You can go back home to them now. Dauntless is falling apart. We aren't needed anymore, not like we used to be. The only targets we have now are just people with dollar signs over their heads. Ever since Erudite took over, we're not fighting terror anymore. I'm sure your family needs you more than Dauntless," I smiled sincerely. "How come I never knew you had a family?"

"It's not something I share with many people. And..." her voice cracked with emotion, "I'm not a part of their lives anymore."

"Oh." That caught me by surprise. Out of everyone here at Dauntless, and I know just about everyone but a few new recruits, Natalie was one of the most loyal, loving and selfless people I had ever met. I couldn't fathom why she would be cut off from her family. "I don't want to pry, but if you need to talk..."