Chapter 8

Previously...

We sat down, and I took Edward's hand. My knee bounced nervously, and he laid his hand on top of it.

"She'll be ok, love," he assured.

"I know, I just can't help but worry, you know?" I smiled nervously looking between him and the double doors to the delivery room.

"She takes after you, very sweet, but still tough as nails," he said, and I smiled and blushed.

~oOo~

Alice, Rose, Emmett and Jasper all stopped by the hospital to see us. We'd already been here for four hours in the cold, sterile waiting room, and I was ready to jump up from my seat to check on my best friend.

"Hey," Jasper said and sat down in the uncomfortable, plastic chair on my right side. Edward was sitting on my left, holding my hand. "How's she doing?"

"Fine, I guess," I smiled nervously, "it's pretty quiet in there." Jasper took my hand and traced small circles on my knuckles. "She'll be fine, Bella."

"I know. I'm getting tired of people saying that." I pulled my hands out from theirs and stood up to go over to the coffee machines. I bought a cup of coffee and saw Edward walk toward me.

I sighed and immediately felt bad that I snapped at my brother-in-law. I was anxious over the birth of Angela and Ben's baby, which I didn't even know the sex of yet. I wanted everything to be okay, but not knowing anything was driving me up the wall. Not to mention, I felt a little jealous that they were having a kid early in their marriage, and Edward and I have been married for a year, but we hadn't been lucky with one yet. I felt bad for being jealous, but I felt impatient, too. Now, looking at Edward, I felt tears cloud my vision, and I took a sip of my coffee. I knew I was being selfish, but no one would understand what I was feeling. Even Edward didn't know about my jealousy because I was afraid he'd think of me differently.

I blew on my coffee and continued to drink it slowly, trying to keep the tears from falling.

"Hey, you ok?" Edward asked.

I shook my head.

"Care to tell me?"

I shook my head again and wiped my tears behind my arm.

"Hey, come here." He pulled me into his arms gently.

"I know that Angie is fine," I started, "but I feel bad for being jealous that she is in there having her first baby and I'm not. Not yet, anyway. And I know that's selfish of me, and that she's my best friend, but I want that too."

Edward sighed and held me closer. He kissed my hair while I drank the rest of my coffee. "Well, what do you think is more important? Having your own baby, or supporting your friend with hers? Which one do you really see yourself doing? Because, Bella, I already told you, I'm not going anywhere. I don't care if it's a hundred years before we have our own kid. But this could be Angie and Ben's only chance to have their own."

I threw the coffee cup away and hugged my husband tightly. He was right; being here for my best friend was more important than wanting my own things. Silent tears fell out of my eyes and onto his shirt as I tried to regulate my breathing in front of everyone else.

Deep down, I knew I had to think of my best friend first. But right now, I just thought about Edward's arms comforting me.