The Present to the Past

Hi everybody!

Before I start I would like to say thanks to @Windwinder and @Totallygeekyforeva for commenting last week again! Thank you so much! :D (I was going to copy your comments here but I'm using my iPod to write this and it won't let me see the comments for some strange unknown reason xD)

So this week I only have one question to ask you: What would you like to know about, what topic would you like to the know the history of? Please let me know and next week I'll find some information! :D

I am officially now going to call you my fellow *drumroll* Historians! (Kinda obvious! :D)

So my fellow historians as you all know the commonwealth games are being held in Glasgow in 2014! (At least I hope you know xD)

Anyway the games are being held in Glasgow and to prepare for this Glasgow has underwent some major changes and one of these changes is to "bring the river to the city and the city to the river."

They plan to build along the River Clyde new offices, museums such as the Transport museum (which is home to years of historic cars), Housing etc are going to be built across the river.

This is the Glasgow of the future! History in the making! Like I keep saying history is being made everyday!

So here is some historic facts on Glasgow and the rest of Scotland: (I'm sorry I know you've already had facts on Scotland but I found an awesome website and I had to share the history xD Forgive me :P)

•The first official international football match was played at the West of Scotland Cricket Club in Partick in 1872. It was between Scotland and England.

•In 1807 the Hunterian Art Gallery and Museum became the first public museum in Scotland.

•lol this is isn't a fact but Kelvingrove museum is one of the best museums in Scotland xD had to say that.

•The University of Glasgow's Building is the second largest 'Gothic Revival' building in Britain (built 1867).

•On 24th January1914 twenty seven panes of glass from the Kibble Palace where broken by a bomb allegedly planted by militant suffragettes. A second explosion was narrowly avoided when the burning end of a lighted fuse was cut of by the night stoker. Evidence that it was the work of suffragettes included the impression of high-heeled ladies shoes in the soft ground and a lady's black silk scarf found nearby.

There we go! The latest history load! I'm so sorry this isn't really that great a column. It was rushed slightly as I've been really busy with school and family stuff but next weeks column will be better!!! :D I promise! I hope you enjoyed this even if it wasn't great! :) Have a nice week! :D

~Rachel