Chapter 1

Unedited!

(photo of Grace at the top!)

Chapter 1

"He didn't like to see animals in captivity. When he looked into their eyes, something in their eyes looked back at him." -Rick Yancey, The Infinite Sea

Swiping my sweaty hair out of my eyes I tug on the band of my pony tail, trying to control the lose locks. Jason kicked my ass today, and I cant say that I minded.

It is always nice to come to the gym and have a good two hour distraction from the real shit going on in my life. The physical pain, and concentration needed to push through the fight is always appreciated as much as it is needed.

I have been taking kick boxing since I moved to the city and have loved every second of it. The thought of being a helpless female like most of the women I know causes my stomach to tie up in knots.

I will not be weak, or defenseless. At 5'2 I am practically a midget next to every man and woman on the street. Not to mention my petite frame that weighs all of 100 lbs, making me an easy target. Correction, making me look like an easy target. I am not weak.

Checking my phone I see that it is only 4:00 pm leaving me with just enough time to run back by the women's clinic and check on my girls after they finish with dinner.

Running has always been an escape, even when I had nothing to escape from. Except myself that is. Growing up I had always felt like there is something lacking within me, not necessarily on my outer surface, but on my inner. It has always felt like there was something just out of reach, like the answer to my happiness is somewhere close and I just can't grab it. Its infuriating.

I can not even escape the thoughts in my sleep I always have these vivid dreams that are so full of color; but when I wake I can not remember a thing. I know that I am dreaming the answer to my questions but I just can't seem to remember.

Frustrated I push myself harder, running faster. Slowing down when I see the clinic I take a moment to stretch my sore muscles out, while throwing my gym bag in my car that I left earlier before entering the building.

****

Tossing my head back I laugh at the little girl sitting in my lap, she has been through so much in such a short time. How beautiful is the spirit of a child, just when you think its been crushed they come back just as bright and beautiful as before. They remind me of flowers crushed by carless feet, yet growing back in the next season.

Tides of happiness and life come crashing into me warming my soul. She glows with this innocence that only a child can possess.

The childs mother sits by my side watching her daughter with wonder and worry. Her hands lightly tap her knee and her foot bounces up and down.

Placing my hand on her bouncing knee she about jumps out of her skin. But I just smile, reassuring her that I mean no harm to her or her child. Although she knows that I only want to help, old habits are hard to break, and the fierce need to protect her young is still strong.

I can not help but feel pride for the tiny woman, she is so broken yet so strong. Like an old house that has stood for hundreds of years. From the outside it looks like Hell but on the inside you see that it only needs some new plumbing and electrical work before you can move in.

I have been working in the women's shelter for a little over a year now. Its in the city outside of the small town that I grew up in.

Each woman and child I meet hold a special home in my heart yet Rebecca and Faith have meant the most. I have saw from the beginning the strength the Rebecca possesses, it comes off of her in soft waves that gently control the people around her. It is so gentle that I do not think Rebecca even knows how strong she is.