● 1 ●

"Ready?" Luke asked at the door.

"Just about." I said as I zipped up my suitcase. I stood it upwards and pulled up the handle.

"Here." Luke said taking the suitcase and presumably taking it to the car. I swung my backpack over my shoulder.

Me and Luke are best friends and have known each other for years now. Our families are close too. Both our families had planned on going on a trip. We intended on going by plane, but decided it would be more interesting and fun to go by ship, so that's what we decided to do.

"Okay," said Luke's dad, "I think we're ready."

We were 6 people and 10 packs of luggage fitting into two cars - me, Luke, my parents and Luke's parents.

----

We finally got to the ship. We were sitting down in seats, just talking.

"Hey Taylor," Luke said to me, "come here."

I got out of my seat and walked over to him - on the side of the ship.

"What?" I asked.

"Look at this."

I looked ahead at the beautiful blue sea. It looked amazing. Luke always loved looking at water in lakes, rivers, seas oceans. He'd never get tired of looking at it.

"I love it so much." He said.

"I know you do."

"Isn't it beautiful though?"

"I'll never find it as beautiful as you do, you're addicted to looking at water."

He laughed. "You know me well."

"I've known you for 10 years, of course I'm gonna know you well."

We were silent for a moment. I rested my head on Luke's shoulder, he put his arm around me.

Suddenly, we heard a scream behind us. We turned around and saw many people panicking - some were running out of any direction, others pointing in awe.

What scared me was the gunshot.

Next thing, everyone was screaming. Luke grabbed my wrist and started running somewhere. I didn't resist.

People were evacuating the ship. Luke took me to where some people were taking small boats to escape. I saw that it would take ages till we got one by waiting, so I leaned forward to try and get my hand on one. Luke saw what I was doing and helped me. We managed to get to a side and get hold of one.

Then a thought hit me.

"Luke!" I said, "What about our parents?!"

Luke looked concerned. He turned to look for our parents, but he only managed to take one step before the shooting increased.

Luke turned back around. "We have to leave them. They'll find a way."

Before I could say anything, Luke had dragged me into the boat. He grabbed a rowing stick and began to move the boat. I got the other one to help him.

We heard more and more shooting behind us, motivating us even more to keep rowing. But every time I went faster, pain cut my heart deeper and deeper, knowing that I was leaving my own family behind. I didn't have a choice.

I didn't dare look behind. The dreadful thought of seeing my dead parents hovered above my mind, haunting me each second.

Tears were uncontrollably running down my face while the wind whipped, causing shivers going down my spine and passing thorough my whole body. I glanced at Luke - he was in the same state of mind. He didn't cry a lot, and he'd always be there to comfort me whenever I would cry, but this was probably the only time he wasn't, and I wouldn't blame him - him and me were both scarred for life.