Chapter 19 : Promise

Shrimp had calmed down and went to meet up with the others in the cafeteria. At least she didn't have that terrorised expression on her face anymore... But Gajeel knew more then well that they weren't out of the woods yet. Ivan was coming, he was now sure of it. Gajeel was himself starting to have that uneasy feeling in the pitch of his stomach. He had lived countless years all by himself, his life constantly submitted to changes. However, it had been a while since he was worried for anything. He finally had a reason to get out of bed every morning. He could finally hope to think more than a day at the time, maybe even have some projects... But Ivan was threatening all of what he just got. And that not mentioning Levy who didn't deserved all of this. Not that girl always filled with joy, who was seeing good in everything, even in him. Not her. She had absolutely nothing to do with that kind of rotten universe.

Makarov had asked them to join him in the basement after their shift. He had something to give them. The young man clenched his fists. He had to wait... but he couldn't bare to wait anymore. He walked randomly in the hostel until he crossed Laxus's path. With the look on his face, Gajeel understood the young Dreyar was thinking the same thing as him: he hated the wait. He had his hands in his pockets, lost in his thoughts. Gajeel stated to walk around him, thinking Laxus haven't even see him. Anyways, as weird as it could sound, he didn't want to engage in any kind of confrontation. He just wanted to be alone for the moment. But the blonde man lifted his eyes on him.

Both men stared at each other, but, for the first time since their meeting, neither seemed to want to mess with the other. That silent exchange lasted for a moment, then Gajeel kept going on his wandering along the building.

- Why did you save her? Asked flatly Laxus in his back.

- Who? Gajeel asked now facing him.

- Mira. Why did you save her? He asked again.

Gajeel stared at him then shook his shoulders.

- Probably for the same reasons that pushed you to get me out of there, he simply said.

He didn't have the answer to Laxus's question. It simply had seemed like the thing to do at that moment. Laxus didn't seem to know what happened either. He thought about the first time he had met Laxus and how he was throwing him one punch after the other without even caring if he would survive the next hit.

- Gihi! Finally laughed Gajeel. You and I will probably never be friends, but I'm ready to ignore the fact that you are getting on my nerves most of the time until we give Ivan the beating of a lifetime, he said hitting his fist in his hand.

- Idiot... Ivan isn't the type of guy you can easily beat, let out Laxus annoyed.

- Don't tell me you're afraid of your daddy, Dreyar! He snickered.

- You don't have any idea of what he can do, started to rage on Laxus while clenching his fists.

- Another reason to kick his ass as soon as possible, he said. And as annoying as you can be, I'd rather have you on my side than not.

Laxus didn't answer. He had to admit, Gajeel was himself a good fighter and even though he learned how to fight in the streets, he knew was he was doing. They didn't add a thing. Neither was at ease with words, but it was clear enough: it was their way to make a truce.

Gajeel left on his side. That short talk with Laxus just gave him a boost of energy. His fears weren't gone, but his fists were now itchy and he was looking forward to slam them on Ivan's skull.

He wandered another moment before finding himself in the cafeteria. It didn't take him much time to find Levy sited in her usual spot. Her two lap dogs where there...great, he though with sarcasm. He came a little closer to see what she was doing.