Chapter 23 : Gunshot

Gajeel hit his fist in his other hand while Laxus was disappearing in the shade, rushing in Mira's direction. The eyes of the man before him were expressing nothing but fear. The later had recognised him, no doubt about it. Gajeel's expression itself would be enough to terrorise the man, but knowing he had shot what was most certainly the tall brute's girlfriend, the assassin knew death could be close. He took out with his trembling hand the gun he had put away to immobilise his boss's son. Ivan had ordered them to do so, asserting that Laxus's pain would be bigger and more of a show for him that way. But at that moment, while the black haired man threw himself at him, Ivan's henchman regretted not having his gun in his hand.

Fireworks could be seen in the sky, but Gajeel didn't even notice, using all his focus in his internal struggle. If he would do as he wished, he would have already destroyed the man in front of him. He saw him putting his hand in his pocket. A split second later, his adversary let go of his weapon in a pained cry, holding with his left hand his broken wrist.

- She almost died because of you! Shouted Gajeel, more anger in his look than he ever had.

- Almost? Grinned the other. I had hopped I would at least have killed her in one shot. That would have been a good thing done, he snickered as an answer.

Despite his bravado, the assassin was in a bad position. As best as he could, he tried to put as much distance between him and Gajeel. But he had no chance against him, especially in Gajeel's actual state. The young man gave him a bid punch, making him fall at his feet. Once down, Gajeel kicked him in the ribcage. A new crack could be heard. The black haired young man clenched his teeth realising he probably just broke a couple of ribs. "You have to calm down Redfox" he told himself "you'll just end up killing that bastard". The urge of hitting him again and again was hard to ignore but he restrained himself.

- The bullet should've finish you off, he managed to said despite the pain. Things would have been easier for me that way.

- If you were a real shooter, she wouldn't be in that state, he spat, still not accepting the fact that Levy was in that state and him unhurt.

- Don't worry, it may not be by my own hand but you wont live to see tomorrow, your blue haired beauty neither.

Gajeel clenched his fists a little more. Did that asshole wanted to die this badly? He was almost at his patience's limit. Before he did something he could regret, he gave him a hard punch on the skull, however making sure not to kill him. The one that shot Levy collapsed on the ground. He was still breathing. That was the point, but even his breathing was annoying him. Without delicacy, he grabbed one of his foot and dragged him unceremoniously behind him, judging it would be wiser to entrust him to Titania, his murderous ideas still in his mind.

He finally got to Levy's apartment were the red haired girl was still guarding a series of tied up men from which the number had risen since their separation. He dropped the unconscious man before Erza. The later instantly took out more ropes, she seriously had an infinite amount of those, and tied him up. Then she put some worried eyes on Gajeel, realising what was wrong.

- Where's Levy? She asked.

Gajeel's expression darkened at the question.

- He shot her, he finally said, his fist up, almost hitting the unconscious man again.

- What? Is she... she...

Erza couldn't express her fears out loud.

- Levy told me no vital organ was damaged. Astonishing as she is, I'd not be surprised if she had red every medical book that exists so I'll trust her, said Gajeel.