"Boyfriend"

Hey! So I'll still be updating Fall For Anything but after last nights episode I had a thought for a fic I wanted to write. Roughly follows what's happening now and how I hope everything goes for Connie, Jacob and Grace 😊

Jacob?" Connie walked through the doors and towards him. "Yo... So-" He glanced across the ward before looking back to a nervous Connie.

"I erm, I just don't think Grace is ready to know that... You're erm, you know..." She struggled to put into words what she wanted to so desperately say to him.

Jacob sighed looking away with a small shake of his head. "You can't even say it can you? Boyfriend." Connie agreed silently as he continued.

"So what is it? What cause I'm a nurse-" "What?" Connie lifted her eyes from the floor to look at Jacob in disbelief. "Cause I didn't go to private school..." Connie shook her head dropping her eyes as she let her breath go.

How could he even think that was her reason for this. It couldn't be further from the truth but he wouldn't hear her out now.

"You know if this, us, was some sort of fling then I totally get why you wouldn't wanna tell her... But surely if this is the real deal then the person you care most about you'd want her to know right?"

He was right. And she knew it, but it didn't mean it was any easier to go and break it to Grace. He didn't know what she was like. He didn't see how awful things had been between them before she left for America. She needed to do things right by Grace this time, she couldn't let her daughter slip through her fingers again. She wouldn't.

Connie was again lost for words as she tried miserably to respond to Jacob. He took her silence differently though. "So maybe this isn't for you... The real deal-" "No don't say that-" "No you know it's cool, it's cool Con..."

Jacob turned walking away from her as he spoke. "I get it, it's cool-" "No Jacob, Jac..." She sighed to herself, defeated that Jacob thought she didn't take this seriously. Take them seriously, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Connie let her hands fall from her hips as she sighed again. She moved into the department where Grace caught up to her. "What's wrong with Jacob? He didn't seem happy-" "Nothing sweetheart, he's fine."

She forced a smile as Grace wrapped an arm around Connie's waist. "Thank you-" "What for darling?" "For being brilliant."  A smile came to Connie's face as she pressed her lips to the top of Grace's head, momentarily able to forget the situation she found herself in.

As the afternoon slowly dragged on, Connie found herself unable to focus. The only thing on her mind was Jacob and how wrong he was about what she was thinking.

"You seem to like Jacob-" "Yeah he's funny, I like Jack too. That Dylan's grumpy though..."  Connie smiled as she laughed a little before brushing her hair back behind her ear. "Jacob certainly seems to like you-" "Probably because he thinks I'm a mini you-" "What's that supposed to mean?"

Connie watched as Grace looked up at her from the sofa. "It's totally obvious he has a crush on you Mum, how can you not know that?" "Hmm..." Grace rolled her eyes going back to her tablet as Connie watched her.

"Grace... How did you find living with your father and Emma?" Grace gave Connie a questioning look but answered anyway. "It was good, but I don't want to go back to them if that's what you mean-" "No sweet heart I was just... It's just..."

Connie had never struggled so much in her life. "Grace when you were in America with your father, I... Things were difficult and Jacob helped me a lot, with so much. I don't think I'd have had the courage to come for you without his help... He was there for me, made me see things properly."

Grace smiled standing up from the sofa and walked over to her Mum. Without saying anything she wrapped her arms around Connie who did the same back. "I'm sorry Mum, I never wanted to upset you. I promise I'll never leave you again. It's perfect, me and you."

Connie closed her eyes as she pressed her lips to Grace's forehead. She sighed savouring the moment with her while her mind wandered to a particular nurse again.

She couldn't let him go thinking that this wasn't what she wanted. "Grace sweetheart wait here while I go and finish something off okay? I won't be long..."  Connie received a small nod from Grace before leaving her office.

Jacob was sat on the stairs a short distance from her office. Connie sighed wandering over and took a seat beside him.

"Why do you think you're always right? Earlier I should have stopped you-" "I think that's the worst apology I've ever heard-" Connie placed a hand to his chin turning him back to face her. "Shut up."

Jacob's eyes met hers before she leaned closer and placed a chaste kiss to his lips. "So what you doing later boyfriend?"  Jacob rose an eyebrow as he watched Connie, her hand caressing his cheek.

"So you're gonna-" "Mmm..." Jacob smiled as Connie watched him. "Alright."  She leaned into him, her hand placed on his cheek as his lips grazed against hers. She smiled into the kiss as he began to deepen it before someone caught her attention out the corner of her eye.

Connie broke away from Jacob. "Hm, what's wrong?"  She sighed resting a hand to her forehead as Grace stormed away. Jacob just caught sight of her before she rounded the corner. "Ahh..."

She sighed with her head in her hands as Jacob placed a hand on her back. He rubbed up and down gently in a soothing manner as he placed his lips to her temple.

"Do you want me to find Grace with you?" "No, no... I should tell her on my own."  She looked up to Jacob as his eyes searched her face before settling on hers. "Okay, call me later yeah?"

Connie forced a smile as Jacob's lips pressed against hers once again. They broke apart and Jacob watched Connie stand up walking in the same direction her daughter had gone. That was one way to find out he guessed, probably not the best way, but there it was. He just hoped she phoned later.