You Can't Have Both

Connie was waiting outside in her car when Grace noticed her. "Mum!? What are you doing here, shouldn't you be at work." Connie closed the car door nodding towards her daughter. "I should but I'm not."

Grace frowned as she walked up to her. "Okaaay..." Connie got back into the car with Grace before starting the engine. "We're going out tonight. The hospital has an event on for the ED staff and I decided it would be nice for us to both go." A smile came to Grace's face as they started their drive home.

As soon as they were inside Grace dumped her bag and ran upstairs. "Er before you go anywhere missy, I need you to be quick as I have something to hand into work before we go to the hotel." "Okay Mum."

Connie sighed to herself before rushing upstairs to get changed herself. She took off the blouse and trousers she'd had on for work before wandering over to her wardrobe. She looked through the many items she had hanging there not short of choice, yet struggling to find something.

Eventually she pulled out a tight fitting shell pink dress with black lace detailing. She slipped it on before smoothing the front down, then letting her hair fall over her shoulders. Quickly she reapplied her make-up before taking out a black cardigan from the wardrobe.

"You look nice Mum." Connie spun round not realising her daughter was there. "Oh, thank you darling. Come on we best get going." Grace smiled skipping away from the room as Connie kicked off her shoes sliding her feet into another black pair of heels.

Within 20 minutes they had arrived at the hospital. "You coming inside or waiting in the car?" "I'll stay here." Connie nodded grabbing something from beside her and disappeared inside leaving Grace on her phone.

Without knocking she opened the door to his office and walked inside. "Mrs Beauchamp..." She threw down the envelope cutting him off. "My response to being distracted. I've mentioned that I think Dr Gardner would make a good replacement." She turned to walk away as he glanced over her letter.

"Let's not be hasty Mrs Beauchamp, we both know you wouldn't-" "Then you don't know me very well Henrik. I have had enough of you telling me how great of a doctor Elle is and how poor things have been. So, now's your chance. I'd appoint her before she decides to leave too."

Hansen sat forwards in his chair resting his arms on his desk. "Can I ask why?" Connie sighed turning back around to his desk. "A life. I want a life with my daughter and I can't have everything that that involves with this job hanging over me too."

"And where will you go now?" "I'm sure I can find a regular job somewhere else. I can't keep putting my life on hold for this place. I've lost everything once before and I won't do it again." Hansen nodded before standing up. "What would you say to staying here, just a regular consultant. 9-5 hours, I don't want to lose you from the department entirely."

"I'll consider it." Hansen nodded holding out his hand to Connie. Reluctantly she took it before turning away and leaving his office, a weight feeling lifted from her shoulders. It seemed surreal that she had given it all up voluntarily like that.

She was in a daze as she entered the department, everyone standing around the nurses' station chatting. "Right we should get going if we want to make it on time." Ethan smiled as everyone began to move, it was only then she noticed everyone was dressed for the evening ahead.

"Um Mrs Beauchamp, are you heading to the party?" "It's alright Dr Hardy, my car's outside." He smiled before walking out with everyone else. Connie started to walk outside slowly before someone spoke from beside her. "Thought you'd be well on your way already."

Connie's eyes fell to the side where Jacob was standing leaning against the doorframe of the staffroom. "I had to speak to Hansen about something..." A smile formed on her lips as she took in what he was wearing. "Amazing what a suit can do, am I right?" Connie laughed from where she was standing before he spoke again. "Come here, there's something I want to show you."