Never An Easy Life cont.

Connie sat against the wall feeling her phone buzz from her pocket once again.

Glancing up she moved her hand to her waist before dropping her eyes to her pocket and pressing answer. She slumped back down against the wall again as soon as she had to conceal her pocket.

"There's only one way out you know, back up through the main entrance-" 'You're a liar. If that's so why'd you run for the end of the corridor? Not as stupid as you'd like to think..." Connie had him say everything she needed him to for whoever was on the other end know where she'd ended up.

"Jacob what's going on?" He stood beside Noel. "Get up the cameras from the basement, about ten minutes ago." Noel looked confused but asked no questions as he began to type away. Jacob turned on his heel running across the department and rushing down the same stairs Connie had gone down a while ago.

Zoe and Charlie stepped up looking to the screen where they saw Connie hit and then pushed up against the wall. "Jesus, Noel call-" "I'm on it now." Zoe picked her phone up walking away into the department t find Robyn while Charlie could do nothing but watch the screen.

Jacob continued to descend the stairs, missing the bottom one of each flight as he ran down them. He stopped at the bottom glancing left and right as the corridor stretched both ways. He ended the call with Connie before calling the hospital reception.

Connie collapsed back against the wall noticing the light on her phone dim. They'd gone. Whatever slither of hope she just had, gone. The seriousness of the situation she found herself in suddenly weighing down on her.

"Noel, can you see where I am-" "Hold on mate... Yeah, yeah we can see you." Jacob looked around finding the security camera and looked at it. "Which way did she go." After a few seconds Noel responded. "Left, half way and then she disappears. Ran off but the camera's don't cover it."

He set off along the corridor not willing to stop or wait for security like Charlie was telling him to. Zoe walked through cubicles to see Robyn. "Where's the patient that Connie was dealing with?" "In there, but Zoe you need to know something."

Noel continued to talk to Jacob on the phone while he walked along the corridor. "That's where it stops, I don't know what else happened after that point." "Noel give me the phone!" Zoe took it from him quickly in a panic. "Jacob you need to find him, there's equipment missing from up here."

Connie sighed shifting her weight feeling uncomfortable. She found her strength and stood up walking for the door. He moved across the small room and stood between her and the door. Locking it he walked towards her causing her to back away.

"You really think she'll take you back? You're disgusting, I don't blame her for sleeping with someone else." Connie fell silent as he slapped her before pulling something from his pocket. "I'd shut up if I were you."

Jacob's head shot up as he heard noise coming from somewhere along the corridor. He ran down the corridor out of view of the others watching from reception. He went quiet listening to everything hoping she'd open her mouth again like she normally would.

"I'll hand it to you, I didn't have you down as such a fighter. I mean, you could certainly control people but you've been losing that touch haven't you? First lover boy, then granddad who walked out on you it's not your day is it?"

Connie kept her eyes on him. "At least I've got a family to go home to. How do you sleep at night knowing your wife was sleeping with someone else? Hmm, having a baby with someone else." "Shut up!" He neared Connie once again pushing her up against the wall, a cold metallic feel pushing into her abdomen.

Jacob stopped outside a door knocking loudly. "Connie!?" Her eyes shot up hearing his voice. The man before her lifted a finger to his lips. "Keep quiet." "Connie? Con are you in there!?" Biting her lip she pushed forwards knocking him off balance before rushing to the door.

"You stupid bitch." Connie cried out as she was pushed down to the floor again. Jacob heard everything he needed to. Stepping back from the door he rushed forwards barging into it sending it flying open.

His eyes scanned the room as someone's fist came flying his way. He caught hold of it and twisted his arm before Connie moved out of the way. Jacob pushed him up against the wall holding him there. "Go on. Do it. I dare you to."

Anger soared through Jacob before he lifted his hand to punch him. "No Jacob don't, you'll lose your job. He's not worth it." Connie held onto him, his eyes looking to her once before he stepped back keeping her slightly behind him.

Connie walked out of the room seeing security rush along the corridor. "Jacob please, leave him." He followed her out of the room but didn't notice the other man follow them. He reached for Connie's wrist pulling her back.

"Don't!" Connie inhaled suddenly as she felt something sharp scratch her back. Jacob walked closer to them again. "I'm warning you-" "Jacob he's got something, please just do what he says." Tears were beginning to roll down her cheeks as she watched him.

Somehow it had been easier to do this all alone, now that someone she cared about stood before her she couldn't hide anything. Jacob was forced to stand back and watch as they edged back down the corridor.

"Killing me won't get your wife to come back to you. Nothing will." She flinched feeling something dig further into her back. "Listen to me. This will only end one way, and that's you back in prison. Not necessarily."

Connie became confused before feeling the pressure to her back relieve and his hands let go of her. Jacob had realised what was happening and got close enough to Connie to move her out of the way before reaching for his hand and pulling the scalpel from his grip.

Security rushed along the corridor keeping hold of him while Jacob dropped the scalpel to the floor. Turning around he pulled Connie into his arms as tears continued to roll down her cheeks. "It's okay, I've got you, I've got you."

He continued to hold her as people could be heard the other end of the corridor. Jacob looked up to see Zoe and Charlie standing there, relief washing across their faces. Connie held onto Jacob tighter causing his eyes to fall back to her.

"I'm so sorry, I should have trusted you." "Shh, not now. I'm just glad you're safe sweet cheeks." The tears slowed as she lifted her head to look at him. Jacob placed his hands on her cheeks wiping the remainder of the tears from them.

"I should never have walked out on you. I won't forgive myself for it-" "This is not your fault. It's mine, okay." Connie's eyes fell to the end of the corridor where he was being arrested. "Hey, look at me..." Jacob's hand turned her to look to him. "It's over."

Connie sighed closing her eyes. "Why did you come after me? You should have waited." "Sorry? I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You wanted me to stand back and watch knowing that you were in danger. Connie we might have argued but it doesn't mean I stopped caring."

She forced a small smile nodding. She lifted her hands to his cheeks no longer caring who was around or watching them. Jacob's eyes remained on hers as her voice came out quieter than before. "I love you."

Connie wasn't sure if now was the right time to say it but she felt like there never would be a right time for them. Jacob edged closer to her before she gently pressed her lips to his. Her hands moved around his neck as she deepened the kiss, never wanting to part from him.

Zoe and Charlie were still standing awkwardly at one end of the corridor but decided to head back knowing that she was okay. Noel was standing at reception surrounded by several people as they watched the same scene unfolding through the screen. He happily turned it off as Cal, Max, Robyn and Rita dispersed returning to work.

Jacob dropped his hands to her waist as pulling her closer as he continued to kiss her. Connie broke away from his lips moments later, resting her forehead against his. "I love you too by the way, but I think you already knew that." Connie let her arms wrap around him again as she rested her head to his chest.

She needed to find a way to make this work, to get through to Grace because she couldn't continue lying to either of them. She needed both of them, the strong independent façade no longer what she cared about showing. She had to sort this mess out, she needed to.