Meeting Elle

Connie sat at her desk fiddling with the paperwork before her. Today was the day the new consultant was starting and she was already late. They'd met on several occasions already and she was less than impressed with Hansen's choice.

The only thing keeping her going was the knowledge that she had control over whether she stays or goes.

As Connie was about to leave a quick knock at the door caught her attention before she entered. "Mrs Beauchamp-" "Dr Gardner nice of you to arrive."

Elle came inside and sat down opposite her. "Sorry the traffic was horrendous and then I had to find somewhere to put my things..." Connie waited until she went quiet before talking again.

"Let me tell you how things run around here. You don't make any decisions which affect my staff or this ED without consulting me. As for your arrival today, I don't expect it to happen again do I make myself clear?"

Elle forced a smile with a nod. "Crystal-" "Good. I'll introduce you to the team." Both Connie and Elle stood up heading towards the nurses' station.

"Gather round please. As you know there's a new consultant joining us from today, this is Elle Gardner. I expect you to help her out while she settles in." "Oh there'll be no need, I'm sure I can manage around here on my own."

Connie looked to her with a perfectly arched eyebrow causing her to go quiet. "Like I said, help her out. That'll be all." She turned on her heel and wandered the opposite way while Zoe approached the new doctor.

"Zoe Hanna, you'll get used to her." Elle smiled with a small laugh shaking her hand as a few others introduced themselves.

Jacob was just arriving when he bumped into Connie. "Morning sweet cheeks-" "Mrs Beauchamp, Jacob." "So you can call me Jacob but I can't call-" "No, you can't because I'm the boss and you're not."

Jacob nodded with a smile as Connie watched him. "How are you?" Connie shrugged as she stood before him. "Living with a hormonal teenager who wants constant attention is surprisingly relaxing-" "Really?" "No I want to strangle her sometimes, but that's Grace, always has called the shots at home."

Connie went quiet as she realised she'd possibly said too much. "You know I can think of a lot of things that might help you relax-" "I bet you could." She raised an eyebrow with a sly smirk as Jacob stood bewildered at how she hadn't shot him down yet.

Jacob pushed his hands into his jean pockets before smiling at Connie. "I always could help you to chill out-" "Jacob..." Connie lifted her eyes to meet his as she pleaded with herself to not let it happen.

He stepped closer before walking past her. "I was just merely pointing it out, you know where I am if you ever need a night off from that busy life of yours." Connie sighed as she watched him walk away. She wished she could. Thoughts filled her head before she scalded herself heading back to work.

The morning passed slowly as Connie went to meetings and finished paperwork. Soon enough it was 10 and she was leaving her office when she noticed Jacob at reception.

"Staff Nurse Masters, nice of you to finally do some work." She opened a file that was on the desk before her as she spoke knowing his eyes were on her. "Rita gave me a few things to sort out."

Connie nodded briefly as she pushed her tongue into her cheek. "So I see. Anyway I'm surrounded by meetings all day so I don't need any problems."

Jacob rolled his eyes which didn't go missed by Connie but she chose not to say anything. "Oh and Staff Nurse Masters... I'd appreciate it if you could help the new consultant gain her footing. The last thing I need is her thinking she can do what she likes."

"Mrs Beauchamp..." "Elle?" "Jacob!?" Connie stood back watching as he picked Elle up in a hug. The shock was evident on her face, as well as something else which she refused to admit.

Noel stood behind reception watching with Jack while Robyn, Charlie and Dylan had also stopped. "What are you doing here!?" "I started today, I never knew you were here." Connie coughed interrupting. "I didn't know you knew each other-" "Yeah, Elle and I grew up together..." "A long time ago." She added as though it made any difference to Connie.

She nodded while Jacob looked at her quickly before focusing on Elle again. "Anyway I just wanted to ask about a patient but I'm sure I can sort it... Good to see you Jacob."

He nodded with a smile as Elle walked away. He glanced to Connie knowing it would irritate her. "Elle, she's great man." Jacob moved towards the nurses' station causing a smile to come to Noel's face. He went to talk as Connie glared to the desk. "Don't."

This time Jacob smirked as he watched Connie wander away to her office. For the next hour she had been sat listening to Hansen and his targets without really paying much attention.

Not for the first time that day she thought about Jacob. How jealous she had been over Elle and their 'friendship'. Seriously Connie? His offer from earlier came to mind. She wanted to, she wanted to so badly and it was beginning to get hard for her to ignore it. "Mrs Beauchamp? You seem distracted-" "The new consultants started today that you chose, I'm just not as confident with her as you so excuse me if I'm worried about my department."

"'Ah, maybe we should reconvene another time." Connie nodded leaving the room quickly before he changed his mind. As soon as she got downstairs her eyes fell to him.

Connie bit her lip knowing it wouldn't be long before she gave into him again but with Elle on the scene she was sure he'd give up chasing her. "Jac-" "Jacob I was wandering if you fancied getting a coffee? I'm on a break and thought we could catch up." 

Connie stood awkwardly with her arms folded against her chest beside the desk while Jacob turned to Elle. "Yeah sure, I'll let Nurse Freeman know I'm taking a break."

Jacob disappeared leaving Elle standing with Connie. "This is an impressive department. Looks like it has a lot going..." Connie lifted her eyes and narrowed them at Elle. "No, no, no don't worry... I have no intention to try and fill those very high heels of yours."

"Finished?" The smile and joking fell from her face as Connie continued to look at Elle. "I expect you to remain professional and on top of your game here Dr Gardner. I won't accept anything short of perfect here, understood?" Elle noticed Connie's eyes flick to Jacob causing her to gain a little more understanding from the statement. "Sure, I understand..."

Jacob wandered back over to the women. "Right, ready?" "Sorry Mrs Beauchamp just reminded me of a patients results which I need to look over. Maybe later?" Jacob nodded with a smile, Connie had already turned away when Elle disappeared into the department.

He was left standing alone knowing that Connie had said something more than that. Jealousy had never been something he'd witnessed on Connie but it was beginning to show.