Stepping Down

Charlie wandered past the nurses station with a small frown on his face as he glanced across the desk. Connie was standing outside her office staring up at the name plaque on the door. He approached her quietly before standing beside her.

"Don't tell me, making the most of seeing that name on the door." Connie forced a smile with a laugh. "Something like that... How's everything been this morning?" Charlie followed her into the office watching as she put her things down.

She hung her coat up and sat down looking up at him. "No problems-" "Good, I'm glad." Charlie continued to watched as her gaze dropped to the table. Something was on her mind and he knew she wouldn't say anything. "You sure there's nothing wrong? Nothing I can do?"

Connie forced another smile getting up. "Everything's alright, I'll explain later." She placed a hand on his arm before walking out of the office, again glancing to her name on the door. Charlie watched as she walked into the department picking up a file from the desk and getting to work.

Hours passed in the department with everything running smoothly. Connie found herself watching from a distance as the staff moved around laughing with each other. She smiled to herself before dropping her head and wandering away.

Connie hadn't had the chance to speak to Jacob since speaking to Grace. She'd ignored the few calls and texts he'd sent but she wasn't sure why. She stood above the department looking down at everyone as she leant against the railings when she spotted him enter the department.

That same smile as he charmed his way through the department. She stayed quiet for a while just watching him. "Ah, Mrs Beauchamp." She didn't look up at his voice but just continued to watch everyone move below her.

"Having second thoughts?" Connie laughed shaking her head. "No... Actually I was just thinking how much I'll miss the place." She stood up folding her arms against her chest as she looked to Hansen. "So you've considered my offer?"

Connie nodded letting her arms drop to her sides. "Yeah, I'm done Henrik. This place, it does nothing but stop me from having a life." He nodded as she turned away without another word, a smile growing on her face as she continued walking away.

She walked down the steps before noticing Jacob wander out of cubicles and towards the nurses' station. "Jacob..." He lifted his eyes to Connie watching as she walked towards him. "Sweet cheeks? Everything alright with Mr Happy up there?"

Connie glanced up seeing Hansen still standing there. "He is not my problem anymore, you on the other hand..." He looked at her unsure of what she meant before she stepped forwards and kissed him. "I love you." She smiled back at him before rushing off towards resus as a patient was wheeled inside.

Jacob was left questioning her choice of words for the rest of the afternoon. Both of them were non-stop so he didn't have the chance to catch her and find out. Connie was standing outside when Charlie came out.

"Want to tell me why someone just handed me some boxes to put in your office? And before you try lying to me, I overheard you with Hansen earlier." Connie let go of a breath smiling across at him. "Come on Charlie, I don't need to explain this to you." "You're leaving?" Sighing again she leant back against the wall. "Looks that way... Before you say anything, it was my idea nobody else's."

Charlie didn't say anything for a few minutes as the pair remained in a comfortable silence. "Does Jacob know?" He noticed her shake her head before looking at him. "Not yet, I know he'll try and stop me if I tell him." "What makes you think I won't stop you?"

Connie laughed turning to face Charlie properly. "Because you know better than to try. Anyway I'm not going anywhere, I'll still be here." Charlie frowned as Connie smiled. "You told Hansen that you were done-" "Nothing wrong with making him desperate for me to change my mind is there?"

Charlie shook his head laughing. "Connie Beauchamp you are definitely one of a kind." She smiled before walking back inside slowly with him. "Who's going to take over?" Connie lifted her eyes as they walked inside. "Oh I'm sure you'll figure it out." He looked towards the desk where Elle was standing before Connie left his side.

Connie wandered towards the staffroom where Jacob was leaning on the table. "You got a minute?" He lifted his eyes to Connie watching as she came in and closed the door. "Everything okay?" "Come here."

Jacob sat down on the sofa beside Connie watching as she sighed. "Why are we sitting in here and not your office?" "Because I need to get used to being in here, it's not going to be my office for much longer." Jacob laughed looking back at her. "Don't be stupid, Hansen would never get rid of you."

She smiled nodding. "I know..." "So why did you say-" "I quit. I stepped down last week and before you try to change my mind it's already done. Today's my last day." Jacob sat back taking in what she was saying. "Say something, I thought you'd be glad about it."

"Glad? Connie you just quit your job, this place is your life-" "Exactly! Being clinical lead left me no time for anything else. I have a daughter Jacob! I can't pretend like I can balance everything when I can't..."

He looked down as she laced her fingers through his. "And losing you wasn't an option, not anymore." Jacob sat forwards placing a hand to her cheek. "You quit your job so that-" "So that I could be happy, Jacob. With Grace and with you."

Connie closed the space between them as her lips pushed against his. Jacob kissed her back as her hands slipped around his neck. He caressed her cheek as she parted from his lips. "I love you Jacob, more than anything else. Besides, stepping down could have it's perks-" "Stepping down? I thought you said you'd quit."

"Yeah, like I could leave this place." Jacob laughed to himself before pulling Connie into his side. They sat back on the small sofa in silence for a few minutes. "When you say stepped down, who's stepping up?" "Do you really need to ask that, I think we both know who it'll be."

Jacob nodded before Connie sat up. "Come on-" "What?" He stood up still holding onto her hand. "Well someone needs to help me clear my office, and make use of it for the final time." She smirked wrapping an arm around his neck as he pressed his hands to her waist. "I like your thinking Dr Beauchamp-" "Nice try, it's still Mrs Beauchamp."

As the end of her shift rolled around Connie was standing in the middle of a bare office. She stood with her hands on her hips before Jacob snaked his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder. "The end of a frightening era-" "Oh please, this is just the beginning for me in this department."

Connie's eyes lifted to the door when someone stepped quietly inside. "Well I can't say I wasn't surprised at this... I never saw you stepping down." Elle stood in the office looking around at it. "There was never a choice for me, not really."

Jacob picked up a box while Connie pulled on her coat and grabbed her bag. He wandered out of the room while Connie walked behind stopping in the doorway. Several members of staff had looked up as Jacob walked out from the office.

Connie paused lifting her hand up and pulling the blue plaque from it's position on the door. "It's all yours." She forced a smile towards Elle before walking off with Jacob. "Good luck with it all..." She muttered under her breath causing Jacob to laugh before somebody stopped them.

"Ah Mrs Beauchamp I'm glad you haven't left yet-" "I'll call you tomorrow to sort out a contract Henrik." She didn't turn to look at him, instead just continued out of the building. "How will you find it working under Elle?"

Connie shrugged watching as Jacob put the box into her boot. "Oh I don't know, but I'm sure knowing that I have you will help." She wrapped her arms around him resting her head on his chest sighing as she realised this was the only way it could have ever gone.