Chapter 6

Stay Alive

(some suicidal THOUGHTS go on here like a small paragraph, please don't read if you don't think you can/ don't want to. like before, I'll put a * when we get there and when it stops)

(PS I considered doing a lot more sad shit within this chapter so y'all should be glad... But nonetheless I am sorry. Also, short chapter so I'm sorry about that too lmao.)

Eliza's POV

"I can't believe this shit!" I yelled, running into the hospital with Angie.

"We're here for John Laurens?" Said Angie to the desk lady, and she just pointed to the waiting room.

"Oh thank god you got here, mes amies!" Said Lafayette, then directed us to the seats. Peggy was sitting on the ground with tears in her eyes being comforted by Hercules, even though I'm pretty sure he was about to break down too.

I looked at Alex and winced at the sight of him.

He was sitting in the corner on the floor, and his arm was covered in blood, which I assumed was John's.

He was just staring into space. Poor guy, he probably saw him get shot and everything.

~2 hours later~

I really hope we get some information soon. Mainly for Alex's sake. He's gotten worse and started mumbling stuff in France or something.

We called his dad, but didn't answer us. "Are you here for John Laurens?" Said a nurse. We nodded. "Please follow me."

"The bullet luckily missed any major organs, but he has persistent bleeding that we're worried about. He should be fine, however. No infection or anything. He's not awake, but he will be any moment. Now, the visiting hours are over now, and we can only have two people stay overnight."

"Alex and Peggy, you guys stay." I said, without missing a beat. "Okay, follow me." Said the nurse with a smile.

Peggy's POV

You know when you see somebody in a hospital bed in a movie? Its a lot worse in real life.

He had a tube in his arm, a tube around his nose, his hair was matted, and he had a giant bandage over his side.

"I'll leave you guys alone. We have some spare blankets under his bed, assuming you're staying the night." Said the nurse, and then she left.  

"I'm going... I'm going to leave. I'll be back." Said Alex, who was speaking for the first time tonight, and closed the door.

Alex's POV

I sat at the edge of the bridge. * I totally could just jump right now. I could. I never... Well... Probably never would, but I could. Just end this all right now.

I wouldn't have to face Washington being mad at me, my friends being mad, John being mad at me... Basically all the shit that's gone on in my life.

It would be a pretty cowardly option. Leaving all my friends. But I'm not feeling very brave right about now. It's all my fault. *

"Alex!" I heard a voice yell. I turned around. "Madison?" I said. "Yes, But if that's what you're thinking, don't jump." I sighed.

"Trust me... I'm not going to." He sat down next to me. "So why are you up here?" I sighed, yet again.

"Contemplating my entire existence."

"Sounds fun. Care to explain?" I backed away from the ledge a little bit. "John's in the hospital, and it's all my fault."

Peggy's POV

I sat down next to John, just reading a magazine. "Hey... You really need to wake up now. I don't need to worry about you and Alex."   I said, and laughed softly.

His eyes drifted open, and the heart monitor started going crazy

"Peggy?" He said weakly. "Where's Alex? Alex. I need Alex. Where is he? Alex." The heart monitor started making weird noises.

"N-nurse? Nurse!" I yelled into the hallway, and nurses ran in. "Code blue." One of them muttered.

"Code blue? What's code blue?! Can somebody tell me what's going on?!" I screamed, while a nurse started doing chest compressions.

"Ma'am we need you to step outside." Said a nurse, and ushered me into the hallway.