Chapter Nine

"You look awfully smiley today." Abby greeted Clara when she found the older student inside the library that evening. "It's a good thing, by the way. I'm not a fan of frowns."

Clara looked up at her and smiled. "Well, it's nice to see you too, Abby. Did you have a good first day of classes?"

"I guess so. I don't understand a thing though. It's like everyone else at least has some understanding of what's going on, but the professors might as well be speaking French. "

Clara offered her to sit down beside her at the table. "Well, you didn't grow up with magic in your household if you're a muggle-born. A lot of students here have at least one magical parent, but that's okay, you're here to learn, just like everyone else."

"But I feel stupid compared to everyone else. I mean, how am I supposed to keep up with everyone else?"

Clara scooted her chair in a bit, leaning towards the younger girl. "I'll let you in on a little secret."

Abby's eyes widened as she leaned in towards the girl. "What secret?"

"You see that girl over there?" Clara pointed in the direction of Hermione Granger who was sitting off in the corner of the library reading to herself.

"Yeah?"

"She has been considered the brightest witch of her age and she definitely lives up to the title. She's amazingly smart but guess what? She's a muggleborn, just like yourself. She grew up with two non-magical parents, and you wouldn't even know it with how much she knows. Trust me, she's way smarter than the majority of the purebloods here, myself included."

"How did she get so smart?"

"I could only assume, by reading and studying hard. Hard work pays off." 

Abby grinned and nodded her head before bringing out all her books and opening every single one of them. Clara couldn't help but laugh in amusement as the girl began to scan over each page.

"I think you'll only confuse yourself by doing that." Clara told her closing over some of the books. "Just take one at a time and don't overdo it, or your brain will turn to mush."

"Literally?" 

"Maybe."

"Whoa."

While Clara continued to focus on her work, Abby would interrupt her several times to ask a question. The younger Hufflepuff was sure at some point that Clara was going to lose her patience and ask her to shut up, but Clara took the time to answer every single one of Abby's questions thoroughly.

"Do you like being a Hufflepuff?" Abby asked her after a few minutes of silence. Clara set down her quill and folded her hands over the table.

"No....I love being a Hufflepuff." Clara answered her.

"Really? Why? Because all the other students say that the Hufflepuff house is lame."

"That's probably because they're pretty lame themselves. Because Hufflepuff is far from lame. I think we tend to get a bad rep because we come across as so kind, but let me tell you, we're called Badgers for a reason. Have you ever met someone who's backed a badger into a corner?"

"No."

"That's because they didn't survive."

Abby giggled. "I like that."

"It's true. We, Hufflepuffs, can be extremely nice and patient, but once you do us wrong, well...we're going to destroy you. We've had some amazing wizards and witches come from Hufflepuff."

"Like who?"

"Let's see, you have Newton Scamander, he's a famous magizoologist. Hengist of Woodcroft, he's the founder of the Hogsmeade village that's close to the castle grounds. Bridget Wenlock, she's known for finding the magical properties of the number seven. You'll learn about that in Arithmancy if you choose to take it your third year, along with Newt Scamander if you take Care of Magical Creatures. But those are all older witches and wizards. Even in the recent years, we've had some remarkable Hufflepuffs. Like Tonks."

"Tonks?"

"Well...she has a different name, but it was well noted that she preferred to be call Tonks. She's an Auror...was an Auror...I'm not sure what she's doing now. Probably raising her child. Then you have Cedric Diggory. He was a couple of years older than me, and he participated in the Triwizard Tournament. He tied with Harry Potter."

"Now I know who Harry Potter is." Abby said. "He's the Boy Who Lived, the boy who took down the Dark Lord...right?"

"Correct, but he didn't do it all on his own. He had a great deal of many wizards and witches help him. There's one last Hufflepuff that assisted him."

"Who's that?"

"Eleanor Ross."

"What did she do?"

"Well, one day, she had the brilliant idea to knit clothing such as socks and jumpers with her wand. And while a knitted jumper doesn't sound like the most threatening thing in the world, it prevented so many deaths. Including my own. I was given socks before the Battle broke out here and I would have been as good as dead if it wasn't for the socks blocking the dark magic."

"But they couldn't save you from the werewolf?" Abby pondered innocently.

"Unfortunately, no. The garments only protected against magic, not against physical harm."

'Oh."

"But it saved many many lives. So you should be very proud to be a Hufflepuff, don't let anyone else tell you different. And if they do....kick them or something."

"Kick them? Alright. You know what Clara. I like you, I can tell we're going to be great friends."

"You're not just saying that so I'll help you with your homework are you?"

"No, I would never do such a thing...but um...could you...help me?"

"Of course."