Chapter Eighteen

As the night settled in, Draco was not looking forward to the evening class of Astronomy, he knew it was going to be more than awkward seeing Sirius there. He had been fortunate not to have any interaction with him, but judging how his classes went in Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts, he was not looking forward to the evening class. Professor Lupin and Professor Dover hadn't said anything malicious to him, nor did they act hostile towards him, but there was a definite awkwardness whenever he made eye contact with one of them.

While Professor Lupin didn't interact with him at all, it seemed Professor Dover tried calling on him in class, but it always felt so forced as if she was trying to mend things but not sure of it herself.

He climbed up the stairs to the Astronomy tower, thankful that at least Clara would be there so he wouldn't have to sit alone awkwardly. But as he arrived a horrible sensation ripped through his stomach as he realized he was the first student to arrive, leaving him alone with Sirius.

Draco hardly had any interaction with his older cousin over the years, however, Draco had interacted with his Aunt Bellatrix on many occasions after her escape from Azkaban. As his mother's sister, Bellatrix had been praised by Narcissa, whereas her other sister Andromeda was rarely mentioned and when she was it was in negative light. He had grown up believing that Bellatrix was a great example of a human being, whereas Sirius had developed very different views early in his life. Which left him disowned from the House of Black just like Andromeda, along with many other members that did not follow the motto of the pureblood family.

Toujours pur. 

Draco had heard the saying repeated since he was a boy, otherwise known as "always pure." It was like brainwashing ceremony that he had heard all about the importance of keeping the bloodline pure throughout his upbringing. Squibs and so called blood traitors were always removed from the family tree as they brought great dishonor to the family.

While not every member of his family was a Death Eater, they had certainly supported the Dark Lord's idea of blood purification. They hated the idea of muggle-borns possessing magic, they hated the idea of family members marrying muggles or marrying wizards and witches that were no approved of. If Draco thought about it at all as a child, he would have noticed that his family practically hated everything outside of themselves.

Now that he was older and experienced the horrors of following the ways of what his family had always preached to him, Draco understood why Sirius ran away from home when he was sixteen. He understood why he befriended the Potters and ended up joining the Order of the Phoenix. Why he married Nixie but didn't allow her to take the family name of Black...

The only noble members of House of Black were those who had been disowned.

The two men were aware of each other's presence as they were the only ones at the top of the tower at the moment. Sirius kept his gaze up at the night sky, obviously not willing to speak first to Draco.

Draco opened his mouth to speak when another student arrived and to his relief, it was Clara. She was fumbling around with a book that refused to go into her bag when she walked over to him with a small smile.

However, he watched as it slowly faded when she sensed the awkward tension between Professor Black and him.

Clara glanced back and forth between Draco and Professor Black, feeling awkward herself just by standing around the two. Luckily, other students arrived distracting the professor who was obviously ignoring Draco.

Draco sighed. "See? I told you." he told her in a low whisper. "He doesn't even want to try talking to me."

"Well, did you try talking to him?" Clara countered.

He looked to the ground. "No. But he doesn't want me to say anything to him."

"You don't know that, Draco. He probably doesn't know what to say to you just like how you're unsure of what to tell him. It's going to be awkward regardless, but unless one of you take the initiative to say something first, all you two will do is feel awkward around each other. I think you should say something first to him."

"What? Why me?"

"Because it shows that you are willing to mend things between you and him. That you're ready to move forward...at least...that's if you're ready to move forward with your life."

"How am I supposed to move forward with my life...with my past?"

"By acknowledging that it's your past and not your future."

Draco bit the inside of his cheek as Clara spoke. The way she spoke definitely reminded him of someone he knew at least in the aspect of speaking such words of wisdom and her philosophical views.

She reminded him of Professor Dumbledore with her words and how she seemed set on helping him. He squeezed his eyes shut as Dumbledore's voice rang through his head.

  "Draco, years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices. Please, let me help you."