Chapter Forty Six

Draco seemed to be at more peace with himself, with the support group not as hostile as the first meeting, he listened to everyone share their stories. Many of them were experiences with the Carrow siblings and the horrors they experienced during their first year of Hogwarts. He listened to Clara as she explained the process she had to go through when she woke up in St. Mungo's. How the Healers tried to heal her wounds to the best of their abilities but due to the werewolf claws, there wasn't much they could do. Luckily, the werewolf hadn't been in it's beast form or she would have killed or turned.  Draco didn't like listening to Clara's pain but the fact that she listened to him whenever, he forced himself to listen.

The hardest stories came from the time when one of the first years asked the professors of the support group to share their experiences. Sirius spoke about his family and how their prejudice views caused so much grief for no real reasons. Remus spoke of his experiences with the first war and how it was growing up as a werewolf, the children seemed more than fascinated with him. But Nixie had the heart wrenching stories that made Draco want to run out of the classroom.

The way she described losing so many people close to her, made Draco feel terrible and he wasn't alive during some of the times. Nixie's friend in Hogwarts had turned to a Death Eater and killed her father shortly after she joined the Order. Her best friend Marlene McKinnon was murdered along with her family and then two weeks later, Lily and James Potter, her other two dear friends were killed by Lord Voldemort himself. Peter Pettigrew's betrayal had left Sirius in Azkaban and Remus and Sirius had a falling out, leaving Nixie to her mother. But Nixie couldn't even face her mother after all that went down.

The students questioned what she did and Nixie told them, she entered the sea and disappeared for quite a long time.

"I can't believe she had to go through all that." Clara said as she and Draco sat in the classroom long after the support meeting ended, the two of them alone as Abby went to spend some time with the second years that she had made friends with, especially Max.

"Nixie?"

"Yeah." Clara nodded. "I mean...to lose her father, her friends, and then her husband is falsely accused and sent to Azkaban for twelve years. I can't imagine..I just...wow." she sat back in her chair and looked over at Draco who had remained silent for most of the meeting.

"Do you plan on sharing your story during one of the meetings one day?"

"I don't know." Draco said. "I don't if anyone really cares what I have to say."

"Draco-"

"I don't mean it like that, but who wants to hear about ...him...staying at my household?" Draco questioned. "I think he's done enough damage I don't think they want anymore reminders or no what the inside story was."

"You don't have to talk specifically about...him. You can talk about other things, like your parents-"

"They may be holding sympathy for me now, Clara, but I highly doubt anyone here will hold sympathy for my parents."

"I do." Clara told him. "I mean, from what you said about your mother, she just did what many mothers would do. She did whatever she could to keep her child safe. She grew in a very different time than many of us. Blood purity was preached while she was growing up, just like it was with you. People handle situations differently, but my mother is the same way...I like to think. She would do anything to keep me safe. My parents were so angry and upset with me for participating in the Battle...they kept telling me that I had to keep myself safe and well...I didn't...obviously." she pointed to her face.

"But you were brave..."

"As were you." she said with a smile.

"What's going to happen after here, Clara?" Draco asked her.

"What?"

"What's going to happen after Hogwarts? What do you want to do...what's going to happen between us?"

Clara glanced over at him. "Well I...I..." she remained quiet for a moment. "I don't want this to end. I mean...but what is your family going to say-"

"I don't care what they have to say." Draco said. "Not anymore. They have made the majority of decisions for me in my life and look where that got me. I'm not listening to anything they have to say anymore. I want to keep them in my life, but technically, I'm an adult now and I will do what I damn well please."

Clara grinned as she heard the surge of confidence in his voice.

"So what do you want to happen after Hogwarts, Draco?"

"I don't care what happens, all I know is, I want you there."

"Well, you don't have to worry about me going anywhere."

"I just don't want my family to drive you away."

"Draco, I took on a werewolf head on, I think I can handle your family."