Chapter Eleven

After storming away from Draco, Clara found herself heading straight for her bed, throwing her covers over her head and hiding from the outside world. She hadn't planned on crying herself to sleep, but it seemed she had dozed off at one point as she awoke to someone petting her head. She opened her eyes slowly adjusting to the light in the room, that automatically caused her head to ache from the amount of crying she had done earlier. 

Turning her head slowly, she saw Abby sitting on her bed side, her small hand running over the top of Clara's head in a soothing motion.

"What are you doing?" Clara asked her.

Abby looked over at and smiled. "You're awake."

"Yes." Clara said. "Why are you petting me?"

"Because you were upset. You were hiccuping in your sleep and the other girls in here told me you were crying earlier. So I decided to pet your head, it's what my mum does when I'm upset. "

"Oh. Well, thank you."

"No problem. Why were your crying? Did you fall down and gt hurt?"

"No." Clara answered rubbing her eyes that burned slightly. "I guess I just overreacted. Some stupid little boy thought it was funny to howl at me when I passed him and I got all worked up-"

"He howled at you?" Abby said in disgust. "Did you kick him?"

Clara laughed. "No, regretfully I didn't kick him."

"Why not? You're a badger, aren't you supposed to kick?"

"Well, I can't just go and kick a little boy."

"Even when he deserves it. You gave me permission to kick people. I give you permission to kick people."

"I wish it was just as simple as kicking people, Abby. Trust me." Clara said leaning against her headboard.

"It can be, if we team up we can kick twice as many people." Abby said determinedly.

The two girls giggled together as Abby sat beside Clara and placed her feet up, getting comfortable.

Clara sighed heavily to herself trying to ignore the throbbing headache that had cut her laughing short.

"I think I deserve a swift kick myself though." She admitted.

Abby turned to her. "But why? You didn't do anything?"

"I kinda did. I was a little too harsh with Draco Malfoy earlier. He was only asking me why I was crying and I practically ripped his face off and called him a coward."

"Well, from what I heard from the other students, he isn't a very nice person is he? I heard he worked for that Dark Lord guy. I'm not one to judge but that doesn't sound like a good person to me."

"I can't say whether he's a good or a bad person Abby, because I don't know him. I don't know the circumstances that made him join the Dark Lord during the time, so I can't sit here and judge him. While I don't think this was the case for him, there were many witches and wizards that were placed under the Imperius curse during the war...they did things that they didn't want to. Horrible things. He may not have been under the Imperius curse, but we don't know what other pressures he was under...if any."

Abby stared at Clara for a moment. "You're like the nicest person I've ever met, Clara. I'm not just saying that either, you really are. You don't have a bad thing to say about anyone here....that's talent."

"I don't want bad things said about me so why would I go and say bad things about others?"

Days went by and Clara didn't get the chance to apologize to Draco because he avoided her by any means necessary. Which she completely understood after what she had said to him. She expected the awkwardness between them, but she hadn't expected him to change his seat in Herbology to avoid sitting next to her.

That kinda stung.

"I feel like a terrible person." Clara confided in Abby as they sat in the library. Abby was struggling with Transfiguration terribly under the teaching of the temporary Professor Clancy, as the man seemed to spend a great deal lecturing instead of actually showing the students the magic they were supposed to be learning. It didn't help that his monotone voice caused most students to doze off.

"You're not a terrible person, now Professor Clancy...he's a terrible person. Well, not a terrible person, but a horrible Professor. He's so boring!" the girl dropped her head onto the table with a loud thud.

"Well, from what I heard he's only temporary. You'll probably end up with a new professor next year or something. Although it's going to be hard to find a professor that's going to be able to fill Professor McGonagall's spot. She was an amazing professor before she became Headmistress. But I'm sure whoever fills the position will be great."

"I hope they fill the position sooner rather than later, I don't think I can survive another one of those classes."

"You will, don't worry. Now let's get started sha-" Clara turned her head when movement caught her eye. She saw Draco walk in searching for a place to sit, but he seemed out of luck as the majority of the students pulled the empty chairs at their table away from him. Obviously, he was not invited to sit with any of them.

Abby looked at the empty chair at their table and then at Clara who had a slight frown on her face.

"Why don't you invite him to sit with us?" Abby whispered.

"I ...I can't...he probably thinks I hate him or something."

"Fine, if you won't I will.."

"Wait..Abby..no!"

It was too late, Abby had already left the table walking in the direction of Draco. The boy was about to accept defeat and walk out of the library when the young girl grabbed a hold of his hand stopping him.