02; Bird Is The Word

The moment Beverly stepped into class she almost immediately regretted it, as all the eyes seemed to follow her as she took her seat.

She sat in between a kid in a faded jacket with an patch of the American flag on the sleeve and the flannel kid from earlier, unaware of the looks they shot over her head.

"I told you." Stiles mouthed, jerking his head towards an oblivious Bev. "Smell her or something."

Scott shook his head wildly, gritting his teeth as his best friend made even more spastic movements. He finally gave in, leaning forward slightly to sniff her hair, freezing when she turned towards him.

"What do you think you're doing?" She raised an eyebrow, a slightly amused look on her face.

"You just remind me of someone I used to know." Scott trailed off, leaning back into his seat. "That's all."

"Well, I hope that's a compliment." The blonde chuckled lightly, pulling out her notebook. "The name's Beverly, in case you get confused again. Most people call me Bev though."

"Scott." He wet his lips and nodded towards the boy on the other side of her, who stopped any frantic movements he had been making. "That's Stiles."

"Adderall kid." Bev greeted, making him look at her in confusion. "It was a guess, I used to take it too."

Two girls slid into the classroom, whatever conversation they'd been having died on their lips when they saw Beverly. She let out a quiet sigh and pulled out her phone, getting real tired of the attention she'd been receiving that morning.

Before she could beat her score on flappy bird a text blocked her veiw, sending the satanic bird falling to the bottom of the screen.

From Unknown:
The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds and the tranquil waterway leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed somber under an overcast sky seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness

Everyone looked up as a woman walked in, reading the test message out loud as her heels clicked across the floor.

"This is the last line to the first book we are going to read." Ms.Blake explained, Beverly locking her phone boredly. "It is also, the last text you will receive in this class. Phones off."

The class grumbled as they turned off their phones, Bev just letting out a quiet snort and dropping it in her bag. She wasn't a fan of authority, especially when it came to limiting her technology use.

She pulled out her book and opened it to the page written on the board, her eyes skimming the page but not retaining any information.

● ● ●

At some point the Scott kid had been called out of class, but she didn't really notice as she was too busy drawing on the palm of her hand.

"What's that?" Stiles whispered, nearly falling out of his desk to get a second look.

"I don't know." She shrugged, guiding the blue pen along her skin to form another petal. "I think it's a flower."

"Do you mind if I ask you a question?" He asked, straining his neck to watch her draw. She didn't reply at all, the boy asking anyways. "Where did you co-"

He was interrupted by a thump, the whole class turning to look at the window as the broken and bloodied body of a bird slid down the glass.

Ms.Blake walked over to the window in curiosity, the wonder in her eyes soon turning into fear as she saw the mass of birds flying towards them.