14; Loose Strings

Beverly rubbed at her eyes and tossed her book aside, sitting up in her bed. Heart of Darkness was easily the hardest book she's ever read, the print being so small and the blatant racism just irritated her.

She swung her legs over the side of her bed, shivering as her feet touched the cold hardwood floor. She walked out of her bedroom, stretching as she entered the living room where her mom putting on her shoes.

"Where are you going, it's pretty late." Beverly was already in her pajamas, while her mom was still in her work clothes.

"The hospital." Mandy replied, pumping lotion into her hands and rubbing it into her arms. "I'm visiting Alan, he managed to be saved from that crazy serial killer."

"Oh." Was all Beverly could muster, knowing the full truth of what was really going on. So did her mother, but she didn't know that. "Drive safe."

"I will." Her mother nodded, standing up from the couch and grabbing her purse. She walked over to the door, grabbing her keys off of the hook. "Do you want me to grab anything for you?"

"I'm okay." Bev shook her head, chewing on her thumb nail. For some reason she felt uneasy, like something bad was going to happen. "Hey mom?"

"Yeah?" Her mother's hand was on the door knob, looking over her shoulder at her.

"I just wanted to say I love you." She gave her a small smile, her mom smiling back at her.

"I love you too." Mandy opened the door, giving her a teasing but stern look. "No parties, no boys."

"I can't make any promises." Beverly shrugged, her mom laughing as she walked out and shut the door behind her. Beverly yawned, rubbing her eye again as she looked around the living room.

Her eyes landed on the baby grand piano in the corner, looking at it indecisively. Sometimes she thought that her mom kept it out in the living room to make her feel guilty for not playing anymore. Her parents had taught her when she was around seven, and she had actually gotten really good over the years.

She stopped after her dad died, just like she stopped doing a lot of the things she loved. She used to dance, too. Contemporary.

Beverly walked over to the piano and sat on the bench, staring at the keys for a moment. She took a deep breath, raising her hands and playing the beginning notes of the first song that came to mind.

Somewhere over the rainbow, by the Wizard of Oz. She had been obsessed with the movie, and practically begged her dad to teach it to her. She frowned at her inability to play at the pace the song supposed to go, gritting her teeth as she missed a key.

Beverly groaned in frustration and slammed her hands down on the keys, a discordant string of note playing. Just then she heard a knock at the door, making her get up.

She shuffled over to the door and opened it, surprised at who it was.

"Hey." She smiled at Aiden, looking him up and down. "You're soaking wet."

"Were you playing?" Aiden ignored her question completely, chuckling when he saw her shocked expression. "Werewolf hearing."

"Oh." Beverly let out an awkward laugh, scratching the back of her neck. "Yeah, but I'm really rusty."

"Play for me." Beverly opened her mouth to argue but he reached forward, his fingertips brushing her arm. "Please?"

She chewed on the inside of her cheek, before sighing and taking his hand. "Fine."

She pulled him inside, shutting the door behind them and walking over to the piano. She sat down, Aiden sitting down beside her.

Beverly rolled her shoulders back and took a deep breath, her a focused look on her face as she started the song again. She got in the first few chords before her finger slipped, her jaw clenching in frustration as she let her hands fall into her lap.

"Hey," Aiden nudged her, making her look up at him. He brushed a piece of hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear. "Just start over."

Beverly nodded and wet her lips, sitting up straighter as she hovered her hands above the keys. Her eyes scanned the keys, planning out her notes before starting.

Aiden watched as she smiled, hitting all the right notes. Watching her play tugged on his heartstrings, reminding him of the girl he met years ago.

She didn't have any makeup on, and her hair was pulled up out of her face. She was wearing an old T-shirt and pajama shorts, looking so much like herself compared to the way she dressed at school. Losing her dad had changed her, her style and personality turning cold and unapproachable.

Beverly got to the end of the song, laughing as one of the notes came out warped and wrong. She pressed it again a few times, scrunching up her nose.

"The wire must be lose, I'll just tune it a li-" Beverly turned to talk to Aiden, but her words were caught in her throat as he closed the space between them and pressed his lips to hers.

Beverly's mind couldn't even process what was happening, but her body reacted instantly, as if it new something her brain didn't. Her hand moved up and gripped the front of his shirt, bunching the fabric up between her fingers.

Aiden's hand found her cheek, cupping it as he deepened the kiss. His other arm wrapped around her waist to pull her as close as he possibly could with the way they were sitting.

They finally pulled away, their foreheads resting against one another as they fought to catch their breath. Beverly swallowed, wetting her lips. "What was that for?"

"It was just something I should have done earlier." Aiden breathed, his thumb dragging across her cheek softly. His phone chimed, making him reach into his pocket and check it. His face instantly fell, the boy standing up quickly. "I'm sorry, I have to go."

"What?" Beverly's eyebrows furrowed, turning her body around so that she was facing away from the piano. Aiden leaned down and kissed her briefly, before rushing towards the door.

She couldn't even speak as he left, the door shutting loudly and leaving her stunned. Beverly covered her face with her hands, dragging them slowly down in exasperation.

Bev let out a breathless laugh, shaking her head and standing up. She turned around and lifted up the top of the piano, the loose wire instantly catching her eye. She leaned down to touch it, a chill running through her as an image flashed through her mind.

Blood spraying across the ivory keys, screams echoing through the room.

_______________________________

Not edited

Remember when I wasn't a flop? Me too.

Ahahahaha I've been waiting for this, and it only goes downhill from here!!!!

I just wanna say thank you to everyone who reads my stories, even if it's just this one (I have others too, like a lot ;)) ) I love you guys, thank you so much for supporting me!

Vote and Comment!!!

Brea xx