›› 0.1

it was a warm day out, and birds were flying around. creating a lot more noise than usual, in fact so loud it echoed through the buildings and made it seem as if cars were silent. i trudged my feet against the pavement covered in old gum and fiddled with my fingers.

i came out and stayed at the park almost every day, to get away. mostly from my school work, and most of the time to put myself at ease. sometimes when i got upset, i would come. just whenever i needed time or space to think, this is where i'd come.

kids were always laughing and giggling around here. it brought my spirits up to see others enjoying their time together. children ran around like wild chickens and smiling with their teeth missing.

i rested my arms comfortably behind my head and took a deep breath. my eyes searched the sky for figures made out of clouds, and i gazed deep into the blue above.

i looked over my shoulder and something caught me by surprise. i even had to do a double take. kids were taunting and teasing a small boy. no older than the age of five or six. i furrowed my eyebrows to see if what i was seeing was actually happening.

kids still picked on each other these days? pathetic. i stood up and marched over to the group of kids who were toying with him and pushing him around.

"hey, what's your problem?" i asked in a stern voice. the five other kids looked up at me, taking glances at each other. a brunette haired boy looked up and chuckled, "who the fuck are you?". my mouth dropped open and i gawked at how he had that word in his vocabulary at that age. "excuse me?" my mind wrapped thousands of times in two seconds before answering. "i'm his mother and you are?"

"you look kind of young to be his mother, don't you think?" the boy scoffed. he had a smirk drawn on his face and i had such an urge to punch the kid. but i didn't want to go to jail. "and you look kind of young to be saying fuck, don't you think?".

they all sat silent and refused to make contact with me. "i suppose you wouldn't want me to tell your mother the way you're acting and talking, would you?". i waved my index finger at the group of woman laughing at a table. his eyes were getting watery and his cheeks were turning red.

his friend grabbed his arm, "common we'll get in trouble!". they all turned heels and ran the opposite way. the little boy who had been getting picked on gaped at me, "t-thank you miss".

i crouched down, "whenever in doubt, sock the kid in the face". i put my fist up and winked at him. he let out a sweet giggle that made me want to cuddle him. and i didn't even know the kid. although he was always at the park on the swings.

"why did they make fun of you?" i asked. with a smile that turned into a frown he replied, "because – i was on the swings and they pushed me off". tears were streaming down his cheeks and his nose was running.

i pulled a napkin out my pocket and wiped his face. "don't cry anymore okay, just go home okay." i looked at him and felt like i was looking at a relfection of myself as a child.

"do you need someone to walk you home, or will you be okay?" i questioned. "i'll be okay miss". i gave him a nod and stood up and turned.

before i could finish walking away a small hand grabbed a hold of mine, "miss, are you really my mommy?" it was a simple question that caught me off guard, yet had almost brought me to tears. the child didn't know who his mother was and it had brought my spirits down. i had just met him and i couldn't help but feel a bond between the two.

i nodded my head and pushed the strands of hair behind his ear. "my name is hani, what's your name?". he looked up and put his hand out, "i'm jaehyuk, kim jaehyuk".

a smile slowly stretched from each corner of my mouth. "well it's nice to meet you, kim jaehyuk". i began to walk away when i felt the same tug at my sleeve.

"is it okay if you come back tomorrow? pretty please? i want to bring my brother! he said if i ever saw a pretty girl, i was supposed to introduce you" i laughed to myself. i shrugged, "sure why not. but please be safe going home jaehyuk".

he nodded happily and began to skip down the sidewalk. i chuckled to myself and continued the same path i always had back home. i had actually felt good helping out jaehyuk. it seemed to make me feel better that someone was there for him. that was something i had wished for when i was younger. i rubbed my eyes and gripped onto my sleeves tight. it was time for me to go back home.

Hey! I hope this first chapter was okay??, i'll try and put something up tomorrow :') please vote and comment your thoughts on this chapter! your support helps me lots – lexie
03/29/16