Erin-napped

Lights.... camera.... ACTION (finally some action happens in this chapter.) If you're liking this story, please vote and reveiw x 

The Soldier was finally about to do something, and he was so ready for it.

Missions didn't usually last this long, but then again, most of the missions that he was sent on didn't result with the main focus ending up alive, so he guessed that this counted as special circumstances. He had received a text earlier that day from an unknown number. It simply read, 'Tonight'.

There was no misunderstanding what that meant.

He looked again at his watch, twenty to twelve. Erin had come home from work today late, only arriving at the front door of the block of flats at half past ten. She had, the Soldier had noticed, a definitive spring to her step. So the human trials must have been a success. The serum must have worked.

He sighed and picked a small dagger out of one of the many pockets of his leather waistcoat, calming himself as he felt the familiar weight if the metal in his palm. He spun it in his fingers a few times. He wasn't expecting to need to use any of this on the girl, she was five foot two, a hundred and thirty pounds, max. Tonight wouldn't be hard.

His main weapon would, in fact, be the small bottle of chloroform that sat, unlabelled, on his bedside table. The plan was to enter her flat silently, and whilst she was asleep, drug her unconscious so that he could quietly, and without arousing suspicion, carry her outside where there would be a company car waiting for him.

What could possibly go wrong?

The Soldier was always ready for the unexpected, however. That was how he had survived this long. His left hand unconsciously travelled to his belt, where a loaded automatic pistol lay, ready for use. His cold metal fingers grasped the trigger, and he smiled to himself as he felt the pressure of it in his palm. His metal arm hadn't been implanted with nerves, but the powers that be at HYDRA had thought it useful to equip it with pressure sensors.

He took another glance at his watch, ten to twelve, and nodded to himself. She should be asleep by now. He threw his leather jacket over his torso, there was no need to cause extra conspicuousness with his metal arm on show. He stood up, picking up the small bottle of chloroform and pulling a cotton cloth from his back pocket. He unstopped the bottle and poured a small amount of the sickly-sweet smelling liquid onto the centre of it, before folding it up and putting it back in his pocket. The Soldier tucked a strand of loose dark hair behind his left ear, and gave the room one final look, making sure that he hadn't left anything. Satisfied that he hadn't, he closed the door and jogged down the empty stairwell, his heavy boots making almost no sound on the wooden flooring. He handed his keys in at the front desk.

"Did you enjoy your stay here, Sir? Was everything to your satis-" The too-loud, too-polite, too-made-up receptionist asked him, her whitened teeth shining from underneath a bright orange face. One look at his face shut her up, and she trailed off her sentence weakly, not even bothering to finish it as he strode out of the double doors and into the cool night.

The air was cold, but he didn't shiver or wrap his arms tighter around himself to keep the warmth in.

All the warmth had been drained out of him anyway. There wasn't anything else worth saving.

He crossed the empty road at a jog, reaching the block of flats opposite hastily and slipping inside unnoticed. It was too bright in the building, the fluorescent lighting making him squint slightly after his time outside. Erin was on floor three, and the Soldier ran up the stairs two at a time to get there. He was hardly out of breath by the time he stood outside her door thanks to his advanced fitness and genetics. There was a small metal pin in his back pocket, and he lifted it out, careful to avoid the chloroform-soaked cloth. Twisting it into a complicated shape, the man bent down, sliding the pin into the lock on the front door and moving it with an expert precision. There was a quiet click