Chapter 9

Chapter 9
Battle's of Minds

Lucy's P.O.V

I don't believe in fate or destiny, no, I don't believe in that. I believe that people have conditions they are given, and then what you do leads to more conditions. I don't think what's meant to happen just does happen, I think you can make it happen.

If someone were to ask me, right now, why I just can't believe? I would tell them it's because I've learned from experiences. In Fairy Tail, in Shock Wave, from all the guilds and people and encounters- that happened because of choices. My choices.

So, when someone says to just believe, my response is simple, easy really.

Fate and destiny? Oh no, I make my own destiny, and fate's given up on me.

So, standing before my opponent, I'll believe, but not in that fate and destiny that people desire to work in their favor. Not that magic that only works in fairy tales, only works for those young damsels in distress. Because I'm not a damsel in distress, nope, never.

I'm a badass Shock Wave force of destruction.

So no, I won't be needing any help from unknown forces and fate and destiny and fairy tale magic, I'm going to do this. I'll do it my way.

-

Third Person P.O.V

The announcers of the games switched the times, the battle would come first (to conserve magical energy for more exciting battles) while the group events would come last. The first battle was Erza Scarlet vs Minerva. A very exciting battle indeed, holding constant advantage switching and unbelievable injuries. The battle ended in a tie, awarding both Sabertooth and Fairy Tail five points.

22 - Sabertooth - 1st
20 - Infinity Soul - 2nd
16 - Shock Wave - 3rd
13 - Fairy Tail - 4th
9 - Death's Maiden's - 5th
5 - Lamia Scale - 6th
1 - Dream Knife - 7th
0 - Blue Pegasus - 8th

The second battle, however, was an extremely unexpected matchup: Lucy Heartfilia vs Elizandra Platinum.

Lucy walked into the arena, head held high, hair flying back and catching in the sunlight. It was a burning gold, shimmering brightly like a candle in the dark. She was smiling brightly, confident and strong. It wasn't the obnoxious confidence that said 'I'm always going to win', it was the confidence that said 'Don't worry, I'll try my best'. It lifted everyone's spirits.

Elizandra fiddled with her fingers and glanced nervously around the arena as she walked up. She was beautiful, an eery beauty of mystery and...something else, no one could figure it out. She had short, choppy red hair, the palest of skin and...her eyes. White, pale, unseeing. She wasn't blind, no, she met the eyes of strangers and smiled nervously at the them, but her eyes. Ghostly, pale, glossy eyes. Milky, stormy and deathly eyes of phantoms.

And that's what she was- a phantom. Or more precisely, a phantom slayer.

The two took their stances, and suddenly Elizandra was calm. It was like she was at ease on the battle field, but no, that wasn't it. Her head was tilted to the side, she was listening to someone, and the arena was dead silent.

"Begin I'm 10-"

Lucy jiggled her keys, ready to whip them out.

"9-"

She brushed her hair back, the nervous energy getting to her.