Magic and maturing

Amber and her mother in the car, Amber still crying. It was an hour drive to New Orleans, one for these two that was full of anxiety an fear. Finally they get off of the major highway and enter into into one of the narrow side roads, all colorfully decorated with many small shops. In the purple, greens, yellow, and browns of the street there is a break, one painted with black chipping paint, darkened windows, and a red wooden door.
To Ambers terror, this dark building was where the car turned in. "Mom! What is this?" She inquired adding to the fear produced by the earlier incident.
"Don't worry about it sweetie." They got out of the car, Amber was shaking. Her mother seemed surprisingly calm.
Her mothers hand raised to the chipping door to knock, though right as her knuckles were about to come down upon it the door swung open. And a seething grin glowed behind it for a moment before the girls stepped in.
"Mortice!?"  Amber's mother cried into the darkness. From the corner of the room a green explosion of smoke illuminated the area.
A linky man in a black and red suit, his tie was too long curling off in a wrinkle at his belt, a skinny top hat sat on his head, and a pointed beard carefully styled on his chin, stepped out. He took a deep bow, and kept in the stance as he said "Mortice the magic man, at your service, familiar female." Then the grin grew and he lifted his head, this made his face inches from Ambers. "Who's this little lady?"his scruffy yet sing song voice wretched out.
Ambers mother grabbed her daughter's shoulder and pulled her close. "That's my little daughter."
Mortice straighten out. "I see." He whirled around on his spindly legs, his coat tail whipped. He grabbed a cane with a brass dragons head on it.
He was an odd sight to Amber indeed, but tonight she had seen many odd sights, many more to come.  The cane was now touching her, Mortice was prodding her, inspecting her.
"Now, what could two pretty poppies like you need from an old magic man in voodoo land?"
Mortice asked as he retracted the cane.
" It's happening again."
" Excuse me miss magnificent, but I believe I forgot our last seemingly empty encounter."
" The black eyed children."
Mortice's slender finger turned quickly, his hat fell from his head and just as it was about to hit the ground he caught it. He grabbed a volume from the book shelf, curly hand writing was scribbled unintelligibly against the cover. He flipped through it with swiftness. Until he stared at a page, but his eyes never stopped moving and he slammed the book shut.
" Ah yes the black eyed brigade! Hm, it's all coming back to me! I believe you know what comes next vexing vixen."
"Yes." Amber's mother said quietly, gravely. Her face was stoic. "J-just take care off her."
" WHAT IS HAPPENING!" Amber finally screamed. The room went silent and Mortice stared at her infatuated.
He slinked over to her. "Well you see tiny toon, your ma ma has scene what you dun saw at your hm..." He placed a hand on her head and thought as if he was reading her mind, perhaps he was. " your sleep over. She tried getting ride of the curse, but it's own your twinkling town."
Amber listened intently
" So we need one person immediately immune to it. Now these things are soul sucking monstrous menaces, one thing they can't handle is two souls at once. Yo manic mama wants to give you her sleepy soul, so that I can help you stop the creepy curse."
" My mommy,she'll die. "
"Precisely pretty parasite."
Amber ran to her mother and wrapped her arms around her they were both crying. Mortice was not.
" Oh, oh,oh, stop all that jazz. Sure she'll die, but I'll tell you a secret, everybody does."
" I have to do this Amber, I'm sorry, I love you." Her mother hugged her kisses her and walked to Mortice.
He opened a curtain to a backroom. " Shall we soul sista." They walked in."
Amber looked on wide, tear ridden eyes. There was the sound of mixing in the back, than a purple flash, and deep painful screaming from the mother. Amber heard this, she meant to run and quickly realized she couldn't.
All she could do was scream...
"MAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"