Pilot

Dedicated to mickynatural

He walked to the fridge and grabbed a beer, barely cringing as the rusty old thing creaked with his every move. He peeped inside, looking for something to eat. Dissatisfied with the contents, which consisted of a half eaten cheese sandwich, a green apple and a can of soda, he closed the door and sat down on the tattered recliner. He looked around the dark cabin, examining what had become his home for the past few weeks. It was a small structure, dark and always smelling faintly of wet clothes. The floorboards were old and creaked every time he moved. The walls, which were once painted a pale white, had now become a sickly grey, covered in dust and stripping in every place possible. He sat back in the chair and sipped his beer, staring into the darkness. He smiled to himself as he thought about his new found freedom, even if it was somewhat... undeveloped. If he hadn't come up with the master plan to fake his death on the last mission, he'd probably still be wasting his life running missions for that snob Waller.

"You've really let yourself go haven't you Lawton?" He heard a soft voice say.

He jumped from his chair and reached for his gun, only to realize it was gone.

"Don't bother, I had it removed when you were looking through that heap of metal you call a fridge." The woman said distastefully.

"Oh, of course it is." He groaned. He turned around slowly and leaned against his chair, focusing on where the sound was coming from.

"What do you want Waller?" He spat.

"I don't believe you're in a position to be asking me any questions. What I'd like to know is what you're doing here, and not back at ARGUS, awaiting my command."

"Didn't you get the news, I died." He said, chuckling darkly.

"I have no time for jokes Lawton. Now we can do this easily, and you'll come with me back to headquarters, or I'll have you escorted."

"I have a pretty good life here, and I don't intend to be your lap dog. So, like I said before, what do you want Waller?"

"I'm actually not here on business."

"Well that's a first."

"Here." She said, tossing him a piece of paper.

"What's this?"

"Look at it."

On the folded up piece of paper was a missing person's ad.

"Is this some kind of joke?"

"Like I said, I'm not here on business. I just thought you would like to know."

"So my daughter is really missing."

"The paper doesn't lie. Unfortunately, my resources at A.R.G.U.S. doesn't allow for investigation into such matters."

"How can I be sure that this isn't some hoax to get me back at A.R.G.U.S.?"

"You don't need to worry about that, I've found someone else with your skill set that won't disobey orders, and is much easier to kill."

"Okay. If that's all you have to say, you can go. I'll take care of this."

"You may not like me Mr. Lawton, and think I have some sort of hidden agenda, but know this: everything I do is for the greater good."

Amanda turned to the men behind her, heavily dressed in armour, and signaled for one of them to return the gun they took from Lawton. Then the three of them left the cabin, leaving Lawton by himself once again.

When he was alone, he looked at the paper again, amazed at how much his baby girl had grown since the last time he saw her. He was quite happy that she still wore the necklace he gave her the night he left. The memory was still clear: