Nine.

After a blur of congratulations and hugs, you left the studios silently with only a small smile and Mettaton's hand in yours to hint at the events that had just went down in the caféteria. You and Mettaton entered your car, but as you started the engine your smile began to fade.

"I only want to marry out of love, not just so I can stay on the surface - and I specifically asked Alphys to program me so that I couldn't feel love."

Then something else began to nag at you - you had known him for under three days.

You felt sick.

Clutching hold of the steering wheel tightly, you tried to calm yourself down. All of your work colleagues had seen the proposal. All of your friends.

What sickened you the most though, was the thought of telling your parents.

It was almost overwhelming thinking of the outcomes of your parents hearing about your engagement. Millions of different scenarios began to race through your head - and none of them had a good ending.

Mettaton lightly touched your left hand, which was gripping onto the steering wheel so tightly the knuckles seemed like they were about to burst out.

"(y/n)", he said, snapping you back to reality. You were parked in your driveway. "Are you alright, darling?"

You just nodded your head, looking at the bright green candy ring that you still wore on your ring finger. Quickly, you exited the car before anyone could say anything.

You rushed to open the front door, almost viciously stabbing the door with the key, constantly missing the lock. Feeling Mettaton touch your shoulder again, you froze.

"You're not alright, are you?"

"We... we should talk." You managed to unlock the door, and enter your living room with Mettaton following you. Still feeling nauseous, you sat down in your faux-leather armchair and put your head in your hands. You could hear Mettaton slowly sit down on the sofa across from you.

"Is this about... us?" Mettaton questioned.

"Yeah." With a deep breath, you continued; "D-do you love me?"

"What?"

"You said... you said that you only wanted to marry someone out of love."

"(y/n), I-"

"You also said that you couldn't feel love."

Mettaton didn't respond. You removed your head from your hands and looked at him. He was looking at his hands, with which he was twiddling his thumbs. Under his hair, you couldn't make out his expression - but you could make out a hint of colour. Mettaton was blushing - if it had been through any other circumstances you would have been even more surprised at how well Dr. Alphys had programmed him, but at this point in time you had no idea how you felt.

"Mettaton. Look at me. Please."

He slowly looked up at you. He seemed almost guilty.

You began to tear up, but tried to suppress it. "We've known each other for less than three days, yet... yet..."

You couldn't suppress your tears any longer as you told him what had to be said.

"I really, really like you, Met. I really do. And I don't mean that just in a platonic sense. But this hurts, you know? I know you're using me. And I don't want that."

"(y/n)..."

"We haven't been on dates. We haven't kissed or shared any kind of romantic interactions before. Neither of us have even dropped the L-bomb yet. But we can't go back, you know? Not after you publicly proposing to me." You held up your left hand, which wore the gummy ring. "I feel like... I feel like if I'm wrong, and you're not using me, we've really rushed into this. And we're going to have to keep rushing, since we have only three months to get married. Mettaton. Please."