Fifty-Thousand.

BONUS CHAPTER

Diva hovered behind Dex and Dyna as they peered into the window of Dandy's bedroom.

"Do you think they can see us?" Dyna whispered, pushing herself up onto the windowsill. Dex remained hovering in front of Diva, and looked back for an answer.

"They can't." Diva replied, shrugging. "All we can do is watch over them."

Dandy was sitting in his room with a couple of friends from school. A human boy, and a monster girl. Diva smiled - this was the most social she'd seen him be outside of class in several years.

"Do you think he still remembers us?"

Diva felt her smile widen. She felt like a big sister to Dex and Dyna - technically she was, being the first born - but she knew she wasn't. She was ageless, just half a human soul who would remain so for eternity. The reality hadn't sunk in with her siblings yet, but after 12 years of death she knew that it'd come quick.

"What about Dad?" Dex said, drawing closer to the window. "Where's he? I saw him talk to Baba not too long ago, but I haven't seen him since."

"Nor I." Diva said, shrugging. "Did you know that he used to hide baby clothes he bought for me under his bed until he separated from Baba?"

Dex and Dyna shook their heads in unison.

"Yeah. He threw them out when he moved back underground. He seemed really distraught. Watching it was quite moving, actually."

Dandy got up off his bed and rummaged in his cupboard, bringing out a newspaper. The girl clapped her hands in glee as the boy sighed. He pointed to an article, and said a few words the trio outside couldn't understand, but it was met with laughter inside the room. The three smiled. "Dandy's a lot more sociable than I remember him being." Dyna noted, pressing her face up against the window to try and read the article. It was too far away, even to read the title. She pulled back slowly. "I wonder what he's reading."

Dex turned around to face Diva. "So like, I still don't understand. Time goes faster here, right?"

Diva nodded. "Yeah."

"So how long have we been... dead?"

"About eight years."

Dyna turned around. "Eight... years?"

Diva crossed her arms. "I mean. Our perception of time passing is hecka weird, so it seems like life passes by a lot quicker at times. You'll get used to it, just watch Dandy grow and you'll learn to estimate how long it's been.

The trio heard the door open inside Dandy's room, so they all twirled around to watch. Inside, you entered the room carrying a cake. Dandy put down the newspaper and watched as you drew closer, careful not to drop the cake or spill the candle which was placed in the middle.

"I guess that means it's your birthday today, huh?"

Dex and Dyna smiled and drew closer to the window once again. They whispered "Happy birthday, Dandy." in unison. But their wishes went unheard as Dandy blew out the candle and you divided the cake up between the human boy and the monster girl. Dandy was unable to eat, so he didn't take a slice. Instead, he plugged himself into the wall beside his bed and began to charge. It was just like eating to him, and the others didn't question it.

"Diva?" Dyna asked, "When you first came... here, who taught you the ropes?"

Diva thought for a moment. "I haven't seen her in ages, but there was this woman called Undyne."

"Whoa!" Dex exclaimed, "She used to be Auntie Alphys' girlfriend! That's where Baba got Dyna's name from, too! What was she like?"

"She was... kind. A bit too energetic at times, and because she didn't know anybody else at the time she had to learn quicker than we do. She was there as we were getting transferred from our hybrid bodies to our metal ones, so when I was stillborn she just kind of..." Diva waved her arms about, "Picked me up? Taught me the ropes? Then she just vanished. Then you two came along."

"So... why did Undyne vanish?"

"Undyne was a full monster. Her soul couldn't exist for long after death - after she turned to ashes her soul did still exist, just not in a retrievable way. When she still existed as a ghost, she was only gonna be able to hang around for a year or so."

"And us?"

"I don't know. A few years, perhaps."

"And is there life like this after we vanish?"

Diva shrugged. "I'd like to think so."

A car pulled up in front of the house, and Mettaton came out of it. Excitedly, Dex and Dyna went down to watch him - but you came out of the front door, exchanged a few words with him as he handed you a parcel and then left. The two ghosts couldn't tell if you were angry, upset or happy to see him, nor could they make out what you said.

Yet, in the eight years they had been dead they grew to realise that it was better to remain ignorant to the status of their parent's relationship, so as to not extinguish the little hope they had left in their hearts.

"But... Dad's a ghost, right?" Dex said, noticing Mettaton looking in their general direction for just a little too long. "Can he see us?"

Dyna tested by waving at him, to which he sharply looked away and put the car into drive. The twins looked at each other as Diva floated down behind them, placing a hand on each of their shoulders. "I don't know. But I think that would explain why he's been acting the way he has."

Dyna felt tears prickling in her eyes, but nothing came. "I don't want to hurt him."

"I don't either, Dy-nya... But it's better safe than sorry."

"What do you mean?"

"Let's leave Dad alone for the remainder of our lives. Perhaps we'll get to see him again when it's time."

Despite being slightly taken aback by Dex's suggestion, Dyna nodded. Diva removed her hands from Dex and Dyna and giggled, but as they turned around to face her they were met with nothing.

"And perhaps we'll get to see her again too."