Seventeen.

Maybe it was the fact that Mettaton had given you a proper engagement ring the day before; or maybe it was the fact that you were standing just outside the barrier, waiting for Mettaton to make his way up the makeshift aisle - that it all began to feel so real.

It was now October 3rd, the day before the wedding, and last-minute adjustments were being made for the service. You and Mettaton had spent the last few hours setting out chairs, editing vows, pinning up fairy lights and covering everything in tarpaulin - and now you were doing a practice runthrough.

Admittedly, the registrar would probably want to run things differently concerning the vows and such, so this was more so that Mettaton could get a better feel of the spacing of everything, rather than to go through the vows.

Napstablook had came up to man the electronics, such as the sound system and the lights. As the sun was starting to go down, the fairylights flickered on, illuminating the area with a gentle glow.

And then the music came on - a gentle music box and piano piece Mettaton had selected. So you turned, and watched him come down the aisle.

It was set up so that it came around a curve, which cleverly hid him from view until he wanted to be seen.

As he moved down the aisle, he seemed to be taking everything into account, and you could quietly hear him muttering about the distance between chairs and such. Despite the fact that the chairs were covered in an unflattering khaki tarpaulin and Napstablook was slowing down the tempo to make it sound more like vaporwave, it was easy to see what the actual day would be like.

A sense of calm fell over you as Mettaton reached you, and took both of your hands in his.

"Is everything alright?"

"It's perfect, (Y/N). Everything is perfect."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, although nothing could be more perfect than you." He purred.

In the past two months, it was becoming clearer and clearer how bad he was at flirting. You weren't much better, mind you.

Just as you were about to respond, Mettaton's inbuilt cell went off.

"It's Alphys." He stated.

"You should take it. There's some fairylights over there that seem to be sagging." You said, looking over towards some of the trees that lights had been pinned on to.

He nodded, and wondered back up the aisle, picking up the call as he did.

"Hello, Alphys?"

~~~~~

"Gosh, Alphys. You have to admit it's amazing up there."

"Yes, but after what happened last time I really think it would be for the best that-"

"You worry too much! I'm going to go back up there again later today."

Undyne sat on one of Alphys' desks, happily swinging her legs over the side. Alphys, on the other hand, was looking through some files on her computer. More specifically, the drivers and programs that let Mettaton work properly. Now that he was living on the surface, she was aware that he wouldn't be able to have as many updates as usual, and as such she should try to make everything as secure and bug-free as possible.

"If you go up there, I'm going to come too." Alphys said, saving a file titled "soul_compatibility.dll".

"It's a date then."

Alphys felt her face turn red. "S-sure." She paused, trying to focus on adding a makeshift safety net for an error she had found. "Once I finish this real quick, w-we can get going."