Thirteen.

"You're lucky it never reached the SSD." Alphys mumbled as she focused on putting the screws back into place. The process of fixing Mettaton had taken about an hour since she'd had to locate and replace a bunch of fuses, and resoulder quite a few wires which had burnt up when water had found its way through the casing.

"Why's that?"

With everything now in place, she plugged Mettaton into the mains. "The SSD is an extended memory for him, which I've partitioned so that part of it is for remembering small details about people, and the other part is for programs - both drivers and miscellaneous stuff he's asked me to put in. Everything else is stored in his natural memory."

"Okay."

Mettaton made a few clicking sounds, so you and Alphys both turned your complete attention to him.

Painstakingly slowly, he opened his eyes and sat up. "...(Y/N)?"

"Mettaton!" You couldn't help but run over to him and hug him. Heck, you wanted to kiss that robot, but decided against it since Alphys was there.

"Why... Why am I in Alphys's lab? Why is it in a much worse state then usual?"

"The human, I-I mean, (Y/N), brought you here. They said there was an attack?"

"Oh, yeah. Just some teenagers trying to get a kick. I wouldn't worry about it too much."

After a brief pause you quietly told him; "Met, you've been out cold for nearly three hours. I had to bring you here because drying you never worked."

"...Oh."

You pushed yourself onto the table beside him, and Mettaton wrapped one of his arms around your waist.

Alphys raised her eyebrows at his action, before visibly shaking herself off. "Look Met, I-I really think you should come and live down here, away from h-humans. You'll be safe here. T-this won't happen again!"

Mettaton pulled you closer, and as he did you looked up at him. His expression was solemn.

"But what if there's a human that I don't want to get away from?"

"Mettaton..." You whispered, smiling slightly, "She doesn't know yet."

"Neither she does. Whoops."

Alphys had gone pale. "D-doesn't know what?"

"We're, uh... we're kind of a thing?" You said, trying to pick your words carefully.

"A thing, as in, we're engaged!" Mettaton noted, a grin spreading it's way across his face.

Alphys was silent. She didn't match his expression - in fact, she appeared emotionless.

"Alphys, dear?" Mettaton got down from the table and went over to her. "I know this must come as a shock, considering we've only known each other for a few days... But please. Can we have your blessing?"

Alphys shook her head and turned around. "Can we not discuss this now?"

Mettaton glanced back at you, giving you a "What should I say?" kind of look. You responded by shrugging and mouthing "Her girlfriend died."

"Girlfriend?" Mettaton whispered.

"Can you guys please leave? I... I need some time alone." She snapped.

You slid off the table, and gently pulled Mettaton away from Alphys. It was clear he wanted to do something - to say something to her, but instead you were the one who spoke; "Alright. If you need anything, you know where to look."

Mettaton motioned to you to exit through the opposite way that you had came in, so you did. Once you had exited, Mettaton began to ask questions. "Did she say who her girlfriend was?"

"She just said that she was the head of the royal guard. No names."

Mettaton stopped in his tracks. "No. You're kidding, right?"

"Would I joke about something like this?"

"I... guess not?" He paused for a bit, and started walking down the hot, rocky path again. "I'm sorry, I just can't believe that Undyne is dead. She was the strongest soldier the Underground had to offer."

You stayed silent, giving Mettaton the chance to continue; "I've always known that Alphys was crushing on her. I mean, I watched her programming a lot and a lot of the variables and such were named after her. Several of the variables in my coding are named after her as well. I never even knew that had got together."

"But nothing like that is going to happen to us right?" You asked, yawning on the last few words.

"I hope not, darling." He took hold of your hand, which was coated in sweat from the heat of your surroundings, and gave it a reassuring squeeze. The glove he was wearing seemed to dry it off a bit.

Several minutes passed in silence as you let Mettaton take control of where you were going. Before you knew it, you were in a wet, dimly-lit cave system. You were growing more and more tired as you walked.

"Where exactly are we going?"

Mettaton stepped over a puddle. "To my place."

"You never said that you owned your own house! If I'd known that, I would have kicked you out!" You teased.

"Truth is, I haven't lived there in a long time. I've lived almost exclusively in the limelight for so long that I barely remember what's inside it."

That's... uh... really cheesy.

"And besides, don't think I haven't noticed you yawning away there. You don't have work tomorrow, so you can spend the night here."

You grinned, resisting the urge of yawning at the thought of sleep. "Neither I do. Thank you."

"No problem. I'll let you meet Napstablook as well, since he lives next door."

He led you into an area where the dimly lit cavern branched off into three caves. He paused for a moment.

"Mettaton?"

"The one on the left leads you to where Undyne used to live."

"Oh."

He took you through into the middle one. Inside, there were two houses - one blue, and one salmon. Mettaton went into the salmon coloured one - the lights were already on, and there were several diaries either stacked up or scattered on the floor - more on the floor than not. The walls were a garishly bright pink, decorated with various vintage posters for movies. Despite all that, the only furniture in the one-room house was a bed (bright pink, of course) and a TV.

"This place is a mess! Tell you what, I'm going to go and get some things. Make yourself at home, just don't leave or read the diaries." Mettaton said, after looking around the room.

"Why not?"

"It could be dangerous for you, considering I haven't taught you about magic and such yet."

"Oh boy. How the tables turn."

He gave you a quick smile, which flashed his rubber teeth for a couple of seconds. "Indeed."

~~~~~

I don't actually have much to say about this chapter lol

Thanks for reading!