Box Four

cuniff

"So what did you and your friend do after I left?" I question, a little curiously. "Is it really any of your business?"

"No! I'm just wondering. You might have used my bed. Why do you hate me anyways? Like I don't know what I'm doing wrong." I sneer and kick my shoes off to show my frustration.

He goes to the door and locks it. Slowly, sitting on his side of the room at his desk. "Look, he's not even gay. If that's what you were thinking. I don't like him either."

I've completely got my hopes up for Shawn only to realize all this flirting was probably just being friendly. From him giving me extra change to him to him touching my chest. It was only a gesture of kindness, not any interest to me.

But, I have another concern. "So? What are you implying anyways... Why do you think you have to tell me that?" I say softly. "N-nothing. I'm not implying anything." Matthew stutters awkwardly.

"That's your way of seeing if I was gay. Just as I talked about you using my bed with Shawn. And yes I'm a homo. So maybe that's why you hate me as your roommate. I can leave if you want." I stand up heading for the door but he stops me, his hand gripping my wrist.

"I'm gay too." Matthew tells me flat while giving me this direct contact that we've never really shared too much before.

And what do I say? All I can comprehend is, "Oh."

"We've been roommates for a while and I've only hated on you because, I just... I think you're really cute and I use to try to push you away because I didn't want to actually catch feelings!" He says it rather fast and it makes my cheeks hot and bothered, a whole lot.

"Have you caught any?" I ask Matthew, realizing his hand was still against mine.

"No. At least, not now. It's just a physical attraction right now. And I really don't want to form a crush with my roommate." Matthew admits and I nod. "I couldn't agree more."

"So are we friends? Should I just put purposely hate you so you don't like me or something? I have this charm you know. People fall really easily for me." I wink.

Matthew laughs and let's go of my hand, sitting back down on his chair. "Yeah. Friends."

"Oh and do you know why I didn't want you around Shawn?" Matthew takes a deep breath and rubs the sweat off his thighs. "I was afraid you might like him, as a friend, more than me."

Thing is, it's so true. I don't even know a thin about Shawn, besides him as a straight guy always coming to my shop for condoms, and, yeah... I like him, and maybe more than a friend.

- April 3 16