Box Thirteen

cuniff

There he is. He walks into my shop with the door wide open and broad for light. The little chimney ding from the bell atop.

I never have to look, just seeing the light hover my shop just makes me know it's Shawn.

"Hi Taylor. Guess what?" Shawn pulls something from behind his back. It's a box of condoms, the first day he bought them.

"Uh, what? Are you returning the item because if they're open, it's final sale." I tell him flatly. "No, no, Taylor. Just. Here. There's a note on it." He scoots the box closer to me.

I take hold of it and look at the back. The note says and I read aloud, "The day I bought this, I didn't take the change. But today, I want to. Let's make a change. Will you go on a date with me?"

I look up at him and his eyes are sparkling as he smiles from ear to ear. "Taylor, I'm really sorry on how we've caught a type of miscommunication, when clearly we felt the same way. So what do you think?"

"Shawn... Clear this up with me." Shawn nods in response. "Are you gay? And do you really want to get to know me?"

"I'm pansexual. I just never really liked a guy. But you're the first, so yes. I do want to get to know you. Please. Only if you say yes." Shawn begs and reaches for my hand.

I laugh and get around the counter to where he is. "I would love to make a change in this relationship. A date we shall." Shawn wraps his arms around me. The first hug we've ever shared. He feels warm, and comforting, completed.

"I like this. You've always made me feel worth something." Shawn nuzzles his neck against my chest as those words slip away.

- April 3 16