Games and Laughter

Sarah's POV

I had to stay in the hospital a few more days before the doctors would let me leave, which I expected, as I knew I was in pretty bad shape. My step-father had seen to that.
I tried my best to eat what they gave me, but found it difficult many times. They had to keep the IV in me to make sure I wouldn't get dehydrated again.
Everyone stayed with me until visiting hours were over, then they would show up the next morning when the hours resumed. Riker was always there first thing when I woke up and the others usually trailed in later.
No matter how much I protested they didn't need to come, they did. I'm sure they had better plans and things to do than sit in a stuffy hospital room. But they seemed content.

During the first day they just sat around and let me ask them all the questions I wanted. They would ask me a few questions too. It was a weird feeling being asked something and everyone listening to me talk. It had been a long time. I'd lost all my friends when my mother died and my step-father took over my life. But that was a story for another time, I was careful with my answers to their questions to not give too many details about my past. They didn't need to know, at least not now.

On the second day they came prepared with a bag full of games. So for the next couple days we played cards and boardgames, talking and laughing. It was the first time in over a year I found myself having a good time. The first time I laughed I immediately stopped, a look of horror on my face, thinking I was going to get in trouble cause my step-father would have made sure to hurt me.
Riker noticed me stop, while everyone else continued. He reached over and gently grabbed my arm.
"Hey, you okay?" He asked quietly, not wanting to bring the others into the conversation.
I shook my head, "I used to get in trouble for laughing....he'd find a way to hurt me somehow."
"He's not here and he won't ever hurt you again."
I nodded, closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Before I opened my eyes I felt his hand on my face. I started to smile again and opened my eyes to see him smiling back at me.
"I like your smile, don't try to hide it."
We sat there staring at each other, until we heard a throat being cleared. We kept forgetting there were other people around.
"Sorry," I mumble.
"I doubt that," Ross said. "Riker it's your turn."
"Oh, yeah, sorry," Riker said taking a look at what's already been played. He smiled then laid down his entire hand. "I'm out."
Everyone was speechless and I lost it. I started laughing so hard I had tears.
Riker smiled at me and then laughed with me.
"I think it's time for a different game," came Ellington's voice.
"Good idea," Rydel said gathering up the cards. "What do we want to play next?" I was still laughing too much to answer.

We spent the rest of the evening playing more games. Eventually by the end one of the games the only ones left playing were Ellington, Rydel, and Ross. They were arguing about some rule, and Ross was accusing Ellington of cheating. Ryland and Rocky had left to get some food or something, I couldn't remember. I was leaning against Riker's side trying to pay attention to the game but I couldn't keep my eyes open. I rested my head against Riker's shoulder and slowly drifted to sleep as I felt him shift his body and wrap his arms around me.