The Competition

~Author's Note~

Hi everyone. :) Okay, I've been looking over the last few chapters of Within My Mind I Suffer and I think my writing isn't as good as it used to be. I just feel like it's become rather bland and boring. I've also looked at some of my other stories which are written in the third-person point of view. It seems that I write better in that type of point of view. So, from now on, that's how I'll be writing. There won't be anymore Fawn POV or Alex POV unless it's something really important. I hope you don't mind and please tell me if you like this new style of writing. Please and thank you! :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Alex slowly walked into the classroom and reluctantly sat down in his chair, setting his forhead on the desk. Ellie had been merciless when she came into his room to wake him up. Instead of waking up at his own pace, she forcefully pushed open the door, turned on the lights and blasted music.

Alex heard the chair next to him slide across the floor. He groaned, knowing it was Dakota. As he lifted his head up, he was surprised to find Elizabeth seated next to him.

"Hey!" She said in a cheery voice.

"Um, hi?" Alex responded, a little confused. 

She smiled at him. "I thought I'd give you a break from Dakota."

Alex chuckled. "Is it that obvious that I don't like him?"

"Hm, only a lot." They both laughed and then turned their attention to the front of the class as Ellie began to speak.

"Good morning everyone! I have a surprise for you all." She said happily.

The whole class groaned and she scowled at them. "The principle has decided that eleventh grade students should have a sports festival. Of course not all classes can participate, so the first three classes to sign up will be the ones competing." The class just stared at her.

So, what do you think? Feel up for the challenge?" Ellie asked with a cheeky smile.

Everyone remained silent until a guy named Evan spoke up. "Well, what's in it for us?"

Ellie brought her hand up to her chin thoughtfully. "Hmmm...I'll treat you all to pizza and give you free tickets to this Friday's dance. That is, if we win."

Everyone started murmuring words of approval.

"I'll take your murmuring as a sign that you accept!" Ellie exclaimed happily. "Though I already signed us up, so we would have competed anyway. Tomorrow is the competition, be prepared. You will all have your ankles tied to the person on either side of you and as a class, you will have to work together to cross the finish line. There will be an extreme obstacle course in which two pairs of two from each class will be selected to represent them. The good part is that both pairs don't have to come out together. And last but not least, one of the partners has to give the other a piggyback ride to the finish line."

"Any questions?" Ellie asked.

The class just stared at her, their mouths gaped open.

"The best part about this is that you don't have class tomorrow. So see you in the morning." She said excitedly as the bell rang.

Chairs scraped against the floor as the students got up and headed towards their next class, wondering what they just got themselves into.

~*~

Ellie opened the door to her house and walked in, moving aside to let Alex in as well. Alex dropped his backpack on the floor and turned towards Ellie.