Chapter Eight-Bewilderment

He had tried everything, but still Hermione did not tell him. Whenever he brought it up over the next few hours, she would pretend she had not heard what he said, and then make up some excuse to leave the room. It was getting to be quite annoying. She told him to wait until they were back at Hogwarts but he did not want to wait that long for something that could be very important, that is if it involved Malfoy in any way.

And after a very tedious night, of tiresome thoughts the sun had pushed itself up past the horizon in a very airy way, lighting the morning sky making Harry feel a bit more sprightly than usual. With his things packed he met everyone in the sitting room, ready for their departure back to Hogwarts. He took frequent glances over at Hermione, he wanted to let her know that he had not forgotten about her promise.

Mrs. Weasley held out the bag of floo powder and he took a handful. He thanked her and stepped into the fireplace. "Hogwarts," he said loud and clear before throwing the powder at his feet. The scene around him changed, he was now standing in professor McGonagall's office.

"Brush off before coming out of there, potter. I do not want ash all over my office." She said sternly. Meticulously he brushed himself off and stepped out. He waited for Ron, Ginny, and Hermione before exiting out into the hallway. Ron closed the door behind them and they made their way to the Gryffindor common room.

"Wait," Ron stopped. "Where has Hermione gotten off to?" Harry looked back. He was right she was no longer following them."I know for sure that she had come back with us, she must have abandoned us right after we left McGonagalls office. Where do you think she is? Maybe we should go back and tail her."

"Oh mind your own business, Ron. can't you let her have her privacy?" Ginny spat. Looking a little dejected Ron continued walking alongside Harry. If not for Ginny, Harry would have gone back to look for Hermione, he was relatively curious about where Hermione had gone, why had she left without telling them?

They meandered back to the common room and corroborated their homework, making sure it was all finished and ready to turn in. Hermione was also missing from lunch that afternoon, which made Harry inquisitive towards Hermione's actions. Ron argued about going to look for her, but it was too late now.

"She'll turn up eventually," Harry told him as they made their way back to the common room to enjoy the last day of the holiday. Entering through the portrait they noticed that most of the students had not yet returned.

"Why don't you look for her on your map," Ron suggested.

"Fine, I'll be right back." He left Ron and headed up to the boy's dormitories. Digging through his trunk to find the map he noticed a note on his bed.

Come to the library. Alone - H

Crumpling the paper into his pocket he ran down the spiral staircase. "I've to get to the library. Be right back." He told Ron as he passed him.

"What for?"

"To slay a dragon, Ron, what do you think," he hoped his curt comment prevented him from following him. He probably suspected that Hermione was there, which was why Harry was going there. He really hoped he wouldn't decide to follow him.

He dashed to the library as fast as he could, almost knocking over a Ravenclaw first year. He mumbled an apology and kept running. He seized the door and flung it open. At first, he didn't notice anyone but as he strolled through the rows of books he found Malfoy and pansy sitting at one of the tables between the shelves. He just moved past them in an attempt to find where Hermione was.

"Hermione, are you here?" He whispered intensively. Perusing the tables.

"Harry," A voice behind him said. He spun around but before he could say anything she grabbed his wrists. She pulled him with great force, he stumbled on his own feet as he endeavored to keep up with her.

She pulled him to the table where Malfoy and pansy sat, pulling out the chair across from Malfoy, his pulse beat so hard and quickly that he felt the palpitation of every artery; he sank to the chair through the languor and extreme weakness that he felt in his knees. She couldn't have told him, she wouldn't. "H-Hermione?" He choked on the word.

Malfoy looked the same as he felt. His lower lip wobbled a little and he frequently cast timid glances at Pansy. Harry wiped the sweat that had collected on the palm of his hands onto his pants. He wished Hermione would hurry up and explain what was going on.

"Okay, before you two start assuming stuff, let us explain," Hermione started.

"Yeah, what do you think we're doing, waiting for you two to start explaining." Draco snapped.

Hermione bit her lip and looked over at Pansy. "Okay, so at the beginning of the year, right after your little brawl after the Quidditch match, pansy came up to me, "Pansy looked a bit panicked at the mention of her name. "And she told me about what Malfoy and her had spoken about the night before."

"Pansy! You didn't!" He shrieked.

"Look, I didn't know what else to do, okay? You were hurting I thought that I would consult Harrys best friend in hopes to, you know, get some information on how he felt about you. I really didn't want to talk to Granger but I felt like I had no choice. Please understand," Malfoy looked absolutely appalled at this. He was shaking from anger. Harry, who had no idea what was going on looked at Hermione for clarity.

"Can someone explain?" Harry asked.

"But as it turns out," Pansy said, "he feels the same."

"Hermione!" He yelled.

"Quiet Harry we're in the library. Please don't be mad. I only told her because she had told me about Malfoy. Now let me continue my story. I told her about the D.A, or at the time, what we're planning on starting, and I told her to bring Malfoy over near the hogshead. I knew he would decide to follow us in and listen, you're always seeming to do that," Malfoy scowled. "She thought that she would convince him to join, but as it turns out, he joined without Pansy's help. Which was why I was so keen to allow him to join."

"She set up the whole flirting plan and trying to trick Harry's brain into realizing his feelings because as I have said before, boys are so blind to love. It worked, now I was just waiting for you to come talk to me about it."

Harry had a hard time taking this in. Hermione had set this up? Plus the whole deal that Malfoy felt the same about Harry as Harry did about him. It made Harry feel a bit outlandish. Many things all at once actually, joyful that Malfoy felt the same, angry that Hermione had gone and wrecked his trust, scared that someone other than them would find out. Malfoy looked as if he was having the same problem he was having, although he seemed angrier overall.

There was an unaccustomed silence. Harry was waiting for Malfoy to say something. He realized that was not going to happen, so he said the first thing that came to his head, "Well this is awkward."

"Look, guys, it doesn't have to be that way, now that you know, you can become friends the whole school has been anticipating this moment, you can-" Pansy began

"No!" Malfoy said, slamming his fist on the table, "No one must know. We don't want word of this getting to my father. "He got up, "as for you, Potter. Stay as far away from me as possible, or I swear I will tear your lungs out of your chest." He stormed away, hitting his hip on the table as he walked out.

That was not how Harry had expected him to react now that they knew each other's feelings. But what had he expected? To become friends just like that? Maybe a make-out session? No definitely not either of those.

Pansy put her head in her hands, "Oh god, I've made a huge mistake. I knew he was going to be mad, but not how mad. What if he never talks to me again?"

"Don't fret, Pansy. He'll come around." Hermione said reassuringly.

But for some reason, Harry didn't think he would. He hoped he would, but he doubted it. He was, however, a little disappointed. Now their relationship would be worse. It was all because of his father. Maybe he could convince him not fear his father so much, maybe then they could have the relationship that he craved.